Instrument Lights

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Dakotakid

Instrument Lights

Post by Dakotakid »

Hey everyone. I am new and looking for answers.
I am having problems with Instrument panel lights. I thought they may be burned out so started with replacing a couple and still no light. The ALT. and OIL lights work along with blinkers but the instrument lights on the bottom corners don't. Any ideas. The dash has never been touched other than last night to replace bulbs.
Thanks.
jeffw

dakota

Post by jeffw »

hey bud, mine did'nt work either when i first got the truck, I had to wire them to a toggle switch, just take the 4 screws off the speedo, then there will be a few more under the trim,, see if the wires are connected to the
light switch, check bulbs, last resort wire them to a toggle,, by the way,,where you from?
Dakotakid

Post by Dakotakid »

I am in Bismarck. Thanks for the follow up. I just got my gas tank pick up line unplugged. It's been a good day so far.

Thanks again.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

first off welcome to slick 60s

if you want to fix it without an extra switch:

the power to the dash lights comes thru the headlight switch, there is a spring(rheostat) wrapped around a ceramic disc and a tab to contact it. as the knob is turned the current travels further along the spring dimming the lights.
the spring may be broken or the contact broken/not touching (dome light work?)
or as in the case of 2 of my trucks the switch must be turned a hair back from the full brightness and they work.
there is also a fuse it is the tiny one, 3amp i think.
good luck
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
megabork

Re: dakota

Post by megabork »

jeffw wrote:hey bud, mine did'nt work either when i first got the truck, I had to wire them to a toggle switch, just take the 4 screws off the speedo, then there will be a few more under the trim,, see if the wires are connected to the
light switch, check bulbs, last resort wire them to a toggle,, by the way,,where you from?
this is know as (insert expletive of choice rigging) lol sorry couldnt resist
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

I agree with ice on the rheostat,Mine was burnt out. I replaced the whole lightswitch, napa had one in stock for around twenty bucks.
Dakotakid

Post by Dakotakid »

Ice,
I think you are right. I looked at the switch and there is a coil (spring) hanging out and turns around the switch body when I turn the dimmer.
This doesn't look good for the switch.
I guess its time to order a new one.
I will check at Napa. That would be great if I don't have to buy one.

Oh yea, the dome light didn't work either.

Thanks again as usual. This site is the Cats Meow.

Dean
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

I learned about how the headlight switch fails "real time". I was sitting in the pickup about 2002, shortly after getting it out of mothballs, it was night and I was fiddling with the dash lights and the rheostat in the headlight switch.

Then comes some sparks and a pop from the switch and all the dash lights go dark. Pretty obvious where the failure was.

The old switches are not the greatest. Often the source of trouble. Luckily, as least in 2002, my local CarQuest had the correct switch in stock, about $20.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
crewzinforabrewzin

Post by crewzinforabrewzin »

had my dash out wasnt thinkin when i put the bulbs back in. when i turn on my blinkers my oil light flashes when i turn on my brites my Alt. lite comes on
CONCIEVED IN DADS CHEVY BUT WILL DIE IN GPRAMPS FORD
Phil

Post by Phil »

crewzinforabrewzin wrote:had my dash out wasnt thinkin when i put the bulbs back in. when i turn on my blinkers my oil light flashes when i turn on my brites my Alt. lite comes on

Maybe your low on blinker oil

:lol: :lol:
Someday I'll get another slick :(
crewzinforabrewzin

Post by crewzinforabrewzin »

crewzinforabrewzin wrote:
had my dash out wasnt thinkin when i put the bulbs back in. when i turn on my blinkers my oil light flashes when i turn on my brites my Alt. lite comes on

Maybe your low on blinker oil

i never thought about that, where & how do i check the fluid? can i by that at any auto parts store
CONCIEVED IN DADS CHEVY BUT WILL DIE IN GPRAMPS FORD