gear drive timing set for a daily driver????

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

65Truck_Nut

gear drive timing set for a daily driver????

Post by 65Truck_Nut »

I put a (quiet) gear drive timing set in my 302. It seemed like a neet upgrade from a chain and gear set but WOW i didnt realize the noise it would make.ideling it sounds like my starter bendix gear is hung into the flywheel. is this normal? i suppose it is ,i installed it step by step by the mfg. directions. driving down the road and especally when im getting on it a little it sounds really awesome has a jet turbine kinda sound. it is just pulling up to the gas pumps i get a lot of looks like (somebody help this guy before his engine blows) or hey mister do you realize your starter is hung. I guess the gear drive sets are for 500hp plus engines that are fully blown and open headers and all so what would a little gear noise mean then. I think i will probably go back to a chain. i just wanted to see what the motor heads would have to say about my child like ignorance.
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Now you need to put a blower on it to drown out the gears. :lol: :lol:
Jim
65Truck_Nut

Post by 65Truck_Nut »

it has a rv cam im guessing about a 266 lift and a 500 cfm holly 2 barrel with .073 jets ,trw pistons ,bore 30 over and a eddelbrock preformer intake and a hei distributer 50,000 volt coil and bosch platnum plugs its pretty gutzy little mill but im not sure im ready for the blower lol with the 4 speed overdrive trans. im getting 14 mpg. all i do is drive it to work 10 miles and let it set for two days and then come back home ive managed to put 1800 miles on it this year and thats all it has on the rebuild. i drove it to my dads house (to let it visit his slick lol) that was 150 miles round trip i think that is the longest trip it has been on since the rebuild. anyway im rambling now lol anyone have a blower for sale?
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Gear drive = dead ass reliable. Just turn up the radio.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.