Toyota Power Conversion

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dadstruck
Canada

Toyota Power Conversion

Post by dadstruck »

I am restoring a 64 M100 same as the F100, it’s a Canadian Mercury. I have read a several article on adding power steering, I have considered adding the piston and ram to the existing linkage, the Chev conversion looked interesting but too many changes required. The Toyota power steering box looked the cleanest and sounds the easiest.
Has anyone done this conversion?
I am in the middle of installation now. The articles said that it would require some grinding. There are four mounting hole on the steering box and I am quiet sure that one of the will be render useless in order to get the steering column to line up anywhere close.
I have modified a 3 speed manual steering column so that it is now set up for the four speed automatic transmission, the steering column will now require shorting about 3” – 4” to get it to fit. Plus the installation of a bearing I the bottom of the column to hold the steering shaft in place.

If anyone as made this conversion could you please let me know it I am going in the right direction and what else I should be looking out for.
All comments are welcome.

Thanks Phil
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Phil, Classic Performance Products makes a bracket for the steering box for the conversion. They list it for up to 1956 but may work with our trucks.

http://www.classicperform.com/4856fordt ... Components
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
dadstruck
Canada

Post by dadstruck »

I have looked into these conversion brackets, they require modifications to fit the 60's frame. Putting me back at square one.
Thanks for the thought.

Phil
1966 Ford

Post by 1966 Ford »

My dad used a toyota steering box on his 66 4x4 when he did his power steering conversion
1966 Custom Cab
1967 Fairlane Ranchero
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Try PMing club Member Chop
http://fordtruk.com/forums/profile.php? ... ofile&u=65
he has done this conversion
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
dadstruck
Canada

Post by dadstruck »

Thank for the information, I'll send him a Pm.