several possibilities for squeezing more gas mileage

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

is this a good idea? Or incredibly BAD idea?

make hydrogen/oxygen generators to feed PCV (less gas req'd)
9%
Add 2-3 ounces of Acetone/Xylol per 10 gallons of gas (supposedly up to 25% mpg gain)
18%
make a fuel-warming device on/in radiator hose (atomize better)
No votes
Make a home made "tornado" out of a fan blower (official tornado claims 2 mpg)
No votes
put in a hotter (190) thermostat (supposedly makes burn more efficiently)
73%

Total votes: 11

blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

ya know, I was building some hydrogen bottles tonight... I really dont know how much bubbly they're gonna put out, but just grossly guestimating, I'm gonna say a lot. I've got all the crap to build 8 of em, and I think it will make a successful boost on my engine once I get it all finished and installed.

While I was messin with it all, I suddenly was sticken with an incredible idea... If I was to make a WHOLE BUNCH of these bottles, and stick them all over the place, like underneath, on both front fender wells, etc, and hook them up to an air compressor, such as those for an air ride system, and an air tank; I could THEORETICALLY Nuke the carburetor all together, and just have a fat airline going to the intake hole, with a fat ballvalve connected to the throttle linkage...... COULD I NOT?????

I would have the first HHO powered Ford FE.... Never have to buy gas again.... Only distilled water and baking soda.... That would be glorious, wouldn't it????

Of course, the initial investment would be quite a bit (the crap to build 8 bottles wound up costing me about $80... WTF?!?!), but it would sure save a bunch of gas.... Although, if I proved it on a small scale test, I may be a lot more willing to dive all the way in...

Oh, and I would have to have a way to add normal air to the mix to fill up the displacement of the engine... I think the little compressor would have a hard time keeping up with the potent brew. (trouble is, this would mess with the mixture... so that may be an issue...)

All this in the name of SLICKSTOCK....
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

Mileage can be improved by sticking to the basics.
Make sure your tire pressures are good, air cleaners are clean, carb adjusted.
The largest factor in getting consistent mileage is to the install a vacuum gauge and monitor your vacuum as you accelerate and cruise. Most folks tend to keep the foot into it as they want to feel the pull all of the time. But by watching the gauge and keeping the needle as low as possible, you will get better, more consistent mileage.
I hate Message Boards.
DocDave

Post by DocDave »

[/quote]
In addition, there was a long rod was affixed to the needle valve that ran through the firewall. You controlled the fuel flow to the carb via the needle valve, and you tinkered with it as you drove, opening or closing the valve with the long rod, based on engine performance. [/quote]

Sounds like a Model A choke rod that allows fine tuning the carb while driving
Dave
From a guy without his Ford that he left on a rock in the North Atlantic.
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

I have been waiting on this to come about.
http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/

There main site they have some fun stuff on here..
http://unitednuclear.com/
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I caught the end of some show on Discovery a few years back where they were having a cross country race based on fuel economy. The one that stuck with me was a guy who ran a basically stock Toyota SR-5 4x4 truck with a topper. he made his own system using of the shelf parts and ran with a whole bed full of hydrogen tanks. He got something like 40 + mpg out of this setup mixing about 30% hydrogen with pump gas. Obliviously it is viable if done properly to get better mileage using hydrogen injection. There is a company out there who makes these setups for large diesels. I kinda doubt there is a real world setup using coffee cans, milk jugs or you washer fluid bottle as a hydrogen generator that will give you a substantial improvement though.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Got to check my mileage on Saturday. Filled tank till it shut itself off, noted exactly how deep the nozzle was in, the position of the pickup in relation to the pump, etc. Drove 251 miles between 60 & 70, depending on traffic, and had about 15 miles city type driving in there. Got back to Globe and went to the same pump and duplicated my prior fill-up. pumped 10.871 gallons in when it shut off. Comes up to about 23 MPG. I normally get just over 17 in all city driving. Don't think this mileage is to bad for my old clunker. It is a 62 F100Uni with a 223, a T5, 3.70 rear which is cut to about 2.70 by the overdrive. I do have a Pertronix I installed and when I engineered a PCV system on it to replace the road draft tube, I installed a Condenserater inline with the PCV. There were a couple of places I had to downshift to 4th gear but I don't really consider that a traumatic experience.

I too have experimented a small amount with trying to use Hydrogen enrichment. Made Hydrogen Generator out of 4 inch PVC. Did put out some very potent gas which burned so fast that I'm not sure if it didn't just explode. I just put it aside after that and haven't done anything further. Here is another thing to think about while dealing with Hydrogen. There is a thing called Hydrogen Embritlement which causes metal to absorb molecules of Hydrogen and makes the metal brittle enough to break. There have been solid chromed axles that have simply snapped in two, supposedly caused by the chroming process using Hydrogen. Consider what this may do to your block and heads. Newer blends of metal specificly designed to use with Hydrogen probably don't have any problems, but it is something to consider about our old engines.

Just some stuff to think about.

Fred
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

hydrogen embrittlement? yuck. that sounds bad. I better look into that...

My roommate said he heard of some dude that had a water catalyzer (HHO generator) in a sandrail, and drove it from LA to NYC on 3 gallons of water. He got famous. Then he was murdered by the gas companies. If I make something successful, you guys dont make a big deal abaout it ok?

haha whatever.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

Hydrogen: one word... Hendingburg

Heated fuel lines: two words... vapor lock

tall gears and small motors: four words... power to weight ratio In a 3700lb vehicle You may eventually get up to 30mpg on the highway but you burned 4mpg driving through the city to get there.

IMO to improve milage in a 45 year old vehicle one must go old school. Utilize the KISS principle. Period articles from the slick era stated that most vehicles, even fresh from the factory are ill tuned.

For milage improvement do this. Tune up your motor. Find the correct plugs. Set your points correctly. Advance and retard the timing for the fuel and driving conditions. Read your plugs they should be chocolate brown. Ajust the carburator, fine tune it. Have a clean air supply. Ajust the brakes to remove excess drag but still have good stopping power. Make sure the wheel bearings front and rear are properly lubricated and adjusted correctly. Synthetic oil, thinner but with better lubricating properties reduces drag in the engine improving milage. Make sure belts are tight and in good condition. Make sure generators alterators function well. Exhaust, headers into glasspacks have no sharp bends exit in front of the back wheel. AC forget it roll the window down. Remove excess drag on the truck, west coast mirrors, side boards,ect. Tires properly inflated. Truck washed and clean and waxed. Make your Slick, slick. Rainex on the windshield.
If all this is done IMO your milage will improve. Probably a lot better than some gimmick. [/i]
I can drive it home with one headlight.
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Also have to consider driving habits and style. Steady right foot, anticipate stop lights, no jackrabbit starts, etc.
Fred