Oil Bath Air Cleaner

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Liberty

Oil Bath Air Cleaner

Post by Liberty »

Greetings,

I Just bought an original oil bath air filter assembly off of ebay for my Slick. How should I clean it and what kind of oil should I use? I am trying to stay as stock as possible.

Thanks,
Liberty
65 Ford F100 Style side 8' bed 352 V8 4Spd Granny Gears

Liberty
MrEvil

Post by MrEvil »

I don't think you have to use any special oil for an oil bath air cleaner and it doesn't have to be clean oil either. My dad usually just puts old crankcase oil in them and never messes with them after that. The basic premise of an oil bath air cleaner is that you never have to mess with them. The oil in the air cleaner traps the dirt and crud before the air goes into the carb. They don't plug up like paper and gauze air cleaners do, but are a bit more messy.
Vehicles:

2000 F250 Superduty Crew cab
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor(work beater)
1961 F100 Uni (my baby)
1966 Thunderbird: someday.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Oil type doesn't much matter.
The oil should be replaced periodically and the screen cleaned. The oil will eventually get moisture in there that will get trapped at the bottom (water being heavier) and if never dealt with can eventually rust out the bottom of the housing.
:oops:
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Basically when you get it from eBay, take some turpentine or whatever the American equivalent of Varsol® is, and wash out the screen and the housing real good, and let it dry.

My dad also used to use the top half (without the crud) of his old crankcase oil from an oil change in there, but you can use new oil too. Same oil you use in the engine, not Gear oil or something heavy..
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i have sae 30 in mine.you can use auto trans fluid too, a bit thinner but just as effective.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Liberty

Oil Bath Air Filter.

Post by Liberty »

Thank you all, Liberty
65 Ford F100 Style side 8' bed 352 V8 4Spd Granny Gears

Liberty
crewzinforabrewzin

Post by crewzinforabrewzin »

i have the origanal oil bath filter in my truck. thing drives my crazy though. dont think it matches up with my carb correctly i have a small holley carb dont believe it was the origanal, its a bit smaller then the hole in the airfilter causing it to allways slide to one side then it tips and leans a bit and smashes down on my carb linkage. i think this might be why my throttle sticks a bit and i gotta pull up on my gas pedal a little with my foot while idleing.
CONCIEVED IN DADS CHEVY BUT WILL DIE IN GPRAMPS FORD
douglloyd

Clean it regularly

Post by douglloyd »

Definitely agree with DV65 - oil bath A/C's DO need maintenance.

When I find one, it gets a pretty thorough cleaning. Take it apart, wipe out the crud with paper towels, then run it through the parts washer or brush it down with kerosene. Once it is cleaned out, I let it dry, degrease it with whatever is handy, then wirebrush down the rough paint spots and prime it. Sand and paint however you like. I use rust block paint inside when I find any corrosion. IMO, a clean original painted Ford blue looks lots better perched on the carb than some chrome UFO from JC Whitney.

Oil bath air cleaners do a really good job in rough conditions that would clog a paper filter. The Ford 8N tractor has an engineering marvel under the hood that allows free breathing to the carb yet catches dust, small gravel, bugs and weed chaff. Better believe this gets cleaned regularly. It's like gutting a catfish - you wouldn't believe the stuff you find in there<g>

Those old farts that designed that tractor in '52 (and our trucks) really did know what they were doing, using the technology that was available at the time. Let's see - how many 'Power Stroke' F-350's will be still in use by 2048?

thanks,
Doug
Z-MAN

Post by Z-MAN »

When I had one, I cleaned it, then sprayed it with brake cleaner and then I put the oil in it. It get the crud out pretty good.

Z