351W, Mustang Shorty Headers, P/S setup?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shawn F.

351W, Mustang Shorty Headers, P/S setup?

Post by Shawn F. »

I have a 1966 Ford F100 shortbed with a 351W/C4 drivetrain combo. It has Mustang style shorty headers on it (only thing I could find to fit) and manual steering. I have everything to do the power steering conversion but am worried that the box will not fit. The manual steering box already is very close to the headers and I am thinking the power box may hit. Does ANYONE here have this setup and will it work with the shorty headers? I had a hell of a time finding the headers in ceramic and finding them to fit in the truck without hitting the starter and then spent a lot on them and the custom exhaust to be ran to them...
I'd appreciate any information!

Shawn-
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

I can only give a little support and maybe some comfort. I have a GT390/automatic with headers. They come close to the starter as you describe. I am changing over to PS next month and have been looking at what parts to get. I have the box out of what I believe is a 72 F100. It is a Sag and the truck it came out of had headers like mine. The box is close to the headers. I will know for sure next month but that doesnt help you much right now. Everything was tight in the truck that the box and pump came out of but they seemed to be ok. I will go out and check where I got the parts and see exactly what year it was if it would help. I wouldnt imagine there is a huge difference between the 351 and 390 headers.