Dome light bezel... How Ford should have done it...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Ranchero50

Dome light bezel... How Ford should have done it...

Post by Ranchero50 »

Hey guys, just wanted to post an update on the dome lamp bezel kits I have been making since September over on Fordification for the '67-72's but also fit the '63-'66 Slick trucks.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... c&&start=0

Ezernut started a thread a couple months ago for the guys here and I wanted to let you know that the parts are back in circulation. I've been trying to get a machine set up at home to make the parts and haven't been around. Here's Ezer's thread:

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... lamp+bezel

I now have one of these in my garage making parts:

It's a 1991 vintage Bridgeport 308 Vertical Machining Center and I've just got it to the point of making parts. Whittled out 82 lenses over the last couple days

And spent the better part of today doing the first fixture / step on 52 aluminum bezels. I should have parts again by the middle of the week.

Thanks,
Jamie
'71 F-250 IH6.9 5sp 4.10's. Bahama Blue gett'n lov'n.
'68 Ranchero 5.0 EFI 5sp 3.55's 3" stainless exhaust in black primer
'68 Fairlane 500 fastback 289 C4 48k miles pale yellow
'93 Mustang Lx 302 Calypso Corral (green) 390rwhp commuter car.
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

Looks good. I figured out why you bought it. Ya set it up to make a part and set back and watch it go while drinking a beer. :lol: I would be happy with a small lath.

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Very nice setup for making parts. Great part also. :D
Tom Williams
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Thanks Tom and Lonnie, it's a lot of fun to make stuff. Tom from Flashback F100's mentioned making the brake release handle for your trucks so I've been working up drawings for one of those, similar processes, CNC'd aluminum polished to a high luster.

Jamie
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

very nice setup and beautiful parts!
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i'd buy one, oh wait, i did! and it rocks! thanks again jamie.

btw, that pic above in green is one installed on my 68 guys. it looks good on there.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Ranchero50 wrote:Thanks Tom and Lonnie, it's a lot of fun to make stuff. Tom from Flashback F100's mentioned making the brake release handle for your trucks so I've been working up drawings for one of those, similar processes, CNC'd aluminum polished to a high luster.

Jamie

That would be SWEET! :D
I bet it would be a lot harder to make though, because it's not a flat piece. It would sure look cool, though.

Glad to hear there's still a lot of interest in those bezels, and in your future projects. :thumright:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

Thanks again Jaime, they really are a high quality product. I have had plenty of compliments on mine.
Mark

Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Ranchero50 wrote:Thanks Tom and Lonnie, it's a lot of fun to make stuff. Tom from Flashback F100's mentioned making the brake release handle for your trucks so I've been working up drawings for one of those, similar processes, CNC'd aluminum polished to a high luster.

Jamie

How would you get the old handle off? aren't they molded over a couple "Wings" that are welded to the rod itself?
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

In all honesty, I haven't gotten that far. Been playing with the dome lamp bezels for the last couple days.

Jamie
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

Johnny Canuck wrote:How would you get the old handle off? aren't they molded over a couple "Wings" that are welded to the rod itself?

Johnny, my emergency brake handle is held on to the shaft by a roll pin.
Gene
1961 Intregal cab SWB 223 (getting 302 & TIB)
1969 LWB 302 automatic (Donor for the '61)
2000 F150 XLT SWB (Daily Driver)
FreeBird

Post by FreeBird »

Looked at mine, think he's right...roll pin. Anyway, bought the dome light bezel got it installed and workin'...ITS RIGHTEOUS...Nice piece, and can't wait for further developments. By the way, Ranchero, how about them tailight bezels I mentioned....any plans for something like that?
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Freebird, I have to set up an anodizing line to make them hold up and there's a certain '71 F250 in a gazillion peices in the other bay of the upper garage and the lower building (18 x38) is stuffed full of ford parts and a very nice '68 fairlane 500 fastback.

I'm supposed to get a copy of BobCAD sometime so I can start drawing the more complex parts and get some cool productions going. I've finally gotten this batch of bezels finishaed and am really please with the quality and ease of polishing.

Jamie
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Been gone for two years, forgot that I posted these on here, sorry. A quick update, the dome lamp bezels are still for sale, just started on another batch of lenses this week.

I picked up a '64 fairlane last year and hope to get the E brake handle in the works this winter as well.

Anyone that's interested in the bezels, please email or pm me, they are delling for $30 mailed out now.

Thanks,
Jamie
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

How bout the aluminium strip that goes around the cab steps on 61-64?
Could you make these?

Ive seen them on various sites, but usually close to $300!
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

What are the overall dimensions, width x height x length. Looks doable but would take two ops on my machine. The looks like it'll take a pretty big chunk of raw stock so it may be cost prohibitive to do it out of billet.

Jamie
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

I don't have the 61-64, but I think a 3 pc. would be more cost affective, easier on shipping and wouldn't take as big a piece of aluminum.. just an idea.... I like your stuff... it really "blings" :lol: I would be interested in the e-brake handle....... thanks for hanging around and letting us in on your bezels....
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Two if our old time members were making these.
http://mongrelmotorsports.homestead.com/products.html
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.