Brake light switch option.

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jwh f-100
United States of America

Brake light switch option.

Post by jwh f-100 »

Here is one more option for a pedal activated brake switch.

Other than approximate measurements of the steel needed to build the bracket I think it is probably best to not try and give exact step by step, where to drill, where to bend, ect. ect. I would suggest make your bends first then by holding the bracket on the truck mark where the switch and mounting hole needs to be.

Here is a basic diagram

The bracket.

Installed... View from the fuel pedal side.

View from the clutch side.
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

My only criticism of the design (and I like it) is that the bracket could pivot when the brake pedal is released. If the bracket could be bent in such a way it sits in the 'flange' of the pedal bracket that would be prevented.

Now, if the pedal switch is adjusted correctly for a light touch to the pedal and the bolt is snug it probably wouldn't ever do that, but in the interest of perfecting the design that's what I'd probably do.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

DV65CustomCab wrote:My only criticism of the design (and I like it) is that the bracket could pivot when the brake pedal is released. If the bracket could be bent in such a way it sits in the 'flange' of the pedal bracket that would be prevented.

Now, if the pedal switch is adjusted correctly for a light touch to the pedal and the bolt is snug it probably wouldn't ever do that, but in the interest of perfecting the design that's what I'd probably do.

Very good point and thank you for adding.. I wish I had thought of that. I would have dropped it down against the lip or possibly made the top part long enough for two bolts. Install one, adjusted as needed and then "nail down" with a second bolt.
Jason

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i did not even use a bracket, i took out the rubber bump stop under the dash that the pedal arm contacts and put the switch in the hole. (61-64 cab and 65-66 bigger trucks and 4x4).
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:i did not even use a bracket, i took out the rubber bump stop under the dash that the pedal arm contacts and put the switch in the hole. (61-64 cab and 65-66 bigger trucks and 4x4).

I did that on my 66 short too. A simple pop rivet would solve the issue of it possibly moving.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

Greg D wrote:A simple pop rivet would solve the issue of it possibly moving.

Another good thought.

I am confident it will not move. The bolt I used is a "grip flange" bolt. It is tightened to the point the bolt would actually need to tighten for the braket to turn. The bolt is from a alternator adjustment arm.
Jason

Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

I made a bracket very similar to that one , only i drilled two small holes just to the left of the big bolt in the photo, and fastened it with two small metal screws. you have to be sure and keep the screws short to keep from interfering with the moving parts behind.I used the same switch too.I had to measure ,cut and bend as i went to get it right.
Blackwaterforge

Thanks!

Post by Blackwaterforge »

Thanks for the replies! The electric switch may be the best option.
Ice I like your idea about using the existing hole where the rubber bumper is.

:dancing:
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i used regular size 1/2- 20 fine thread nuts,overkill by far ,but i dont think it will come loose.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
qwertyd10n
Canada

Post by qwertyd10n »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:i did not even use a bracket, i took out the rubber bump stop under the dash that the pedal arm contacts and put the switch in the hole. (61-64 cab and 65-66 bigger trucks and 4x4).

ICEMAN,

Any chance you have a picture of this setup?

I took a look under the dash on my '66 4x4 this evening and it seems the bump stop on my brake pedal is actually attached to the pedal bracket and moves with the pedal. It stops against the bracket that the clutch and brake pedals are all mounted to. Is this was you took out and replaced with the plunger style switch? Or did I misunderstand something?

Cheers,
Dion
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

I just made an "L" shaped bracket and hose-clamped the short leg to the steering column and a plunger type switch in the long leg which matched the pedal arm. Is slightly visible, but has worked perfectly for well over five years now and is really easy to accomplish.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

qwertyd10n wrote:

ICEMAN,

Any chance you have a picture of this setup?

I took a look under the dash on my '66 4x4 this evening and it seems the bump stop on my brake pedal is actually attached to the pedal bracket and moves with the pedal. It stops against the bracket that the clutch and brake pedals are all mounted to. Is this was you took out and replaced with the plunger style switch? Or did I misunderstand something?

Cheers,
Dion

sorry pic would not do you any good the early cab and f250 4x4 is different.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

It has been a few years back, but I used a switch from a motorcycle. It was in my "junk" box so not sure what make it was from.
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.
Hooligan66

Re: Brake light switch option.

Post by Hooligan66 »

Bringing this back up. With the design the OP made and the concern of it pivoting, why not just add extra length to the top area that attaches with a bolt? Say, enough room for a second bolt? Possible pivoting issue solved.
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: Brake light switch option.

Post by bobenhotep »

I mounted mine through the sheet metal behind the dash. the stock wires can be brought through the firewall and reach the switch. The business end of the switch works off of the bumpstop bar on the brake pedal.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.