Bad Experiences with Suppliers-Post here

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Johnny Canuck
Canada

Bad Experiences with Suppliers-Post here

Post by Johnny Canuck »

This will help us all in knowing the dealings of others
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Roddoors

Post by Johnny Canuck »

My Experience with Roddoors;
by Johnny Canuck

Once upon a time Garbz negotiated a "deal" with Roddoors, when he met them at a swap meet. 10% discount for all club members!! said Kevin the salesman
OOoo good deal! So, when I went to get a headliner, it took about 3 weeks to get the RIGHT phone number from Roddoors for Kevin , calling the one we had posted got you his ex-girlfriend I guess. And she was not a happy camper. The headliner price "coincidentally" went up 20 bucks in those 3 weeks, from $170 to $190.

Finally after nearly giving up, I get a call back from Kevin, he says "Oh no!!, no 10%, you Slick guys didn't order enough volume, (although I know Garbz, Dwight, Chop, Dane, Vinnie, Truckfarmer and several others had already got them). So far as I knew, there was no negotiation on volume, stilll, no discount for the Canuck. Instead of a 10% discount, I managed get the benefit a nice $20 price increase. Not hanging up the phone right then, and ordering one from Dennis Carpenter- Mistake #1

"Oh well", I thought, I still need a headliner, might as well order my carpet from Roddoors too and just pay once instead of twice for shipping on 2 items.
Nope. Mistake #2.

The headliner came from California, the carpet comes from ACC in Georgia, (where I discovered, if I had bought direct from there, I would have paid $200 instead of $500, -plus shipping- , -which Is what I was trying to save, I could have ordered from ACC myself-)..
So, now I am out the 20 dollar price increase, the non-existent 10 % discount, one extra shipping charge and the extra $300 Roddoors markup for $200 carpet, a total of about $400. But wait, it gets better. :roll:

Kevin tries to sell me the back cover in the cab for where the gas tank goes.... "I can make my own for the additional $200, -plus shipping- thank you very much" I said. :shock:
Kevin says, "Y'know, all you Ford truck guys are FRUGAL."

Yeah, so frugal, I don't yet realise I am already out $400. But, then after a few weeks the headliner arrives, without an invoice, so now I have a hassle at the border (120 mile round trip). A few phone calls and faxes at the border, and I get it home and... it doesn't fit, it's the headliner for a 57-60 Fridge. :?

"Send it back, including the velcro to hold it up" Roddoors say, "we'll reimburse you your shipping, and send you new velcro tabs!! So I pack up the insulation, velcro and headliner -Mistake #3

"You want me to send it UPS from Canada I say? are you sure?"
"Yes!" he says, so I send it back. That was mistake #4
$95 dollars more, out of my pocket for shipping. Which they, of course, have never sent me.

So, the 2nd headliner as well as the carpet finally arrive (another 120 mile round trip to the border), and the headliner fits great , but has none of the insulation, or the velcro they told me they'd send to hold it up.

I call them again... this is now about the tenth phone call to Roddoors:
"Oh we sell that velcro separate , it's just another $20 -plus shipping- ", they say.

Can you hear the camel's back breaking yet? :evil:

So, Slickster, I recommend to you, do yourself a favour, don't pay almost $900 for $370 worth of merch., and a lot of hassle, and getting called FRUGAL, and told there is no discount after all, and just go order your stuff elsewhere.

of course, this is just my point of view..
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

That is incredible. I'd be making sure I told everyone I could that story, which it seems you are.

I have noticed carpet is going from fairly cheap to outrageous. Like you mentioned, it usually is from ACC. NPD has it listed in their latest catalog for about $150.

Living in Charlotte, it is easy for me to visit both Dennis Carpenters and National Parts Depot. NPD is usually slightly cheaper for the same thing as DC, but not always. So far, NPD has been great with returns, even stuff I lost the receipt for.

Carpenters has nice people working there, but the in-store hours are short and some things don't seem to fit right. Like a windshield washer and cap for my 70. I had to re-use the old cap on the new tank. The new cap kept popping off the tank. the old cap fit perfect, so I scrubbed it up and re-used it.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Slight correction: I never did buy the Roddoors headliner. I still intend to, but between the time the discount was offered and then rescinded I did not have the cash to purchase one. Having heard this story before, I put that little upgrade on the back burner.

WK and I spoke with the Roddoors guy at Supernats one year and received much of the same arrogant response that JC did. I guess they are simply used to the well-funded, check writing Effie owners who just buy stuff blindly without realizing much of it can be purchased elsewhere for less. Roddoors offers a good product, but you have to deal with their holier-than-thou attitude to get it.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Kevin was arrogant. The guy at the warehouse service desk with the English accent was OK... but my greatest disappointment in them is that either of them NEVER did what they said they would.
Customer service, if they knew anything about it, would have gone something like this:

1) Kevin apologizes for taking 3 weeks to get back to me initially. He would then have waived the price increase that occurred while I was waiting for him, and given me the discount he supposedly :roll: is still offering us.

2) He would have been upfront about making an obscene profit on drop-shipping someone elses' product. Tell you upfront just to order direct from ACC when getting carpet. I was gonna order carpet from them (ACC) anyway, I just figured it was gonna save me money to order thru one company. WRONG. And ACC sure isn't making $300 on their $200 carpet, that THEY manufacture.

3) Ford truck guys ARE frugal. We have to make due with old parts and rebuilding things that just aren't available, we aren't Chebby twits who just write checks and wait for the package to arrive, for any little part we want. This is the whole basis for this club, when you think about it. But we don't need him to tell us that.

4) When they make a mistake, they pay for it. All of it. I would have done better to keep the original wrong headliner and sell it on ebay. And, I wouldn't have been out $95 for shipping.

5) In addition to the stuff I wrote above, there is gas money, and time off work, to head to the border twice. There is also the fact the Canadian dollar was hovering around 70 cents then, and all this really cost me 30% more at the time in Canadian money. Paying over $500 too much is bad enough, add another $150 to that for money conversion, and it really hurts. Plus every time I crossed the border I paid 7 % taxes on this stuff. That is to be expected, but I had to pay it twice.

6) I have heard from several sources that when this story comes up at shows where Kevin is at, he carries on as though I am somewhat of a dang lunatic. Well I hope this has caused someone else to not buy his stuff, to the tune of at least what they ripped me off. If he refuses to learn anything about customer service, he can suffer the consequences, IMO.
Jonas
United States of America

Post by Jonas »

Two sides to every story. I guess ????

It would be nice to hear his. He must have read this.

Based on the passion you used to exspress your experience. It would make me a little concerned.

Sounds like Garbz and some others have had good experiences.

Any thoughts on DC Healiners, anybody bought one?

I am defenitly frugal. (That doe s not match up with DC either.)
1966 F100 SWB 390/Toploader/Ford traction Loc

1997 F250HD 460 4X4

2004 RoadKing

1984 FLHS

1978FXE
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Jonas this has been posted here and on the old site in varying forms since the incident happened to me, several years ago. Roddoors has chosen the 'ignore it and it will go away' form of customer service for that long, and so it remains.
Enough people need or desire thier product that I doubt it has any affect really on their bottom line, but at least people approach them now with open eyes, and have been made aware.
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on August 27, 2008, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

UPS AND FEDEX RIPOFF SCAM

Post by Johnny Canuck »

NEW TOPIC:
UPS AND FEDEX RIPOFF SCAM

For years now, UPS and Fedex have been charging their Canadian customers about double what they charge thier US customers.
but that ain't the scam.

the Scam is, when they deliver something over the border, from the U.S. to Canada, they not only charge double for the delivery, but specifically in the case of Car Parts, they have something called a "Brokerage fee" they charge, which effectively doubles the price again.

Here's some background, in Canada and the US, there is no Customs Duty on car parts, as these are covered by the NAFTA agreement as "Free Trade". But , each of these companies has their own internal customs brokerage firm, which has to justify it's existence. So, for example, if someone in the States was to send me a set of valve covers, say, and in the US it would cost $35 to send them, if you sent them to Canada via UPS or FEDEX, the charge would be about $70.

-Then-, they charge a "Brokerage fee" of about $70 on top of that. ON DUTY FREE CAR PARTS. in other words, they charge us over and above $70, payable on delivery , in addition to what was paid for delivery already, for a broker to say "There's no duty on these car parts." :shock:

A huge scam. If the stuff had been mailed, not only would it be initially cheaper to send, but as car parts, there would be no duty, just a 7% sales tax due on it. Most people don't understand this when sending stuff from the States to Canada. The "declared value" is what the Govt. charge sales tax on in the mail service. So if you sent it with a value of, say, $10.00 I would pay 70 cents on it.

Some people figure they are doing Canadians a huge favour by declaring that these 10 dollar valve covers are worth $100, just in case they got lost in the mail. Well, I would have to pay $7.00 tax on the $10.00 covers if they were declared to be worth that much. So save the favours. Best way is to declare them a "Gift" with a minimal value. The Canadian Govt collects enough taxes as is, thanks very much.

So remember. MAIL stuff to Canada. Declare the value as a small amount. UPS and FEDEX just rip us off.
Big time.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

I sell to Canada pretty often on Ebay, and always use the mail service. Luckily, most of my items are small. I value them (for the sake of our Canuck brothers) at 'scrap' value. :) I've got no dog in the hunt with Canadian taxes, but if I can help someone else save a buck on USED parts that have already had tax paid on them once in life, I will.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

WE Send a lot to Canada as long as its small enough for POST OFFICE,but too big then tell them about all these extra charges but now when it comes to headliners we keep them on the truck to save shipping, 4 pc. headliner is about 115.00 east coast,, 125.00 midwest , west coast 150.00 all regulated by Ups or Fed-Ex WITH THIS OVERSIZE 3 Junk they claim, and what you get for Extra Handling charge, last headliner we shipped in which was a 57-60 Foot Prints,, Skid marks from the fork lift anf hole from the fork, Well Ups paid for it but the hassle we went through,, In the past I have sent something wrong that was MY FAULT, But it left here like that or Kathy wrote it down wrong so we can make a mistake, BUT WE Never have anything dropped shipped cause we want to be sure its right when we get it and before it leaves here or is a good item with no defects,, as a dealer for DC We do not even let them ship me anything, Kathy goes down herself to be sure its right, other day found the wrong 67-72 instrument clusters in the wrong boxes, or 61-66 chrome headlight bezels already rusting in the boxes in years past,,, JC I am sorry :( all trouble over this issue,, one of the funniest things I saw at a show was guy needed a headliner for his truck, bought it, took a razor knife cut it in half to make it easier to ship home
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Although usually the first one to bitch about UPS. I did ship a set of NOS Mustang Louvers to Canada, they arrived fine and the cost was $132.88, described as "Antique Car Part". Mind you these were in a 5' x 3' x 8" wood crate that billed at 96lbs (actually 66lbs).
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

jeepers, where is that beating the dead horse little cartoon deallie thing when you need it...but since you asked :wink:

LMC door seals don't fit!!!!!!! :twisted:
Mark

6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

no fooling,,,, I hear this all the time especially on the 61-66 and 67-72 trucks
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Phil

Post by Phil »

Barry Grant/Demon Carbs

Yeah you guys probably know this story but since
there is a feedback thread here it is.

4 year resto on my 466/C6 Torino.
The car ran great for about 8 months and the carb was like EFI.
I was driving at 2pm on a sunny day.
The day after I turned 40 in fact.
I left a light at 35mph and there was a
car in front of me doing about 30.
I let up on the gas and the car kept going.
I pulled up on the pedal thinking it was stuck in the carpet.
Nope, Linkage I thought. I stepped on the gas to free it,
blipping the throttle kinda hard.
It stuck at nearly WOT

I hit the brakes but the engine easily overpowered them.
When I let up it was like a line lock and the car launched and spun.
I tried to get to the key but the car hit a tree dead center in the
back at 65+ knocking me out.

I came too a second later and the car was flying down the street
tires spinning. I tried to regain control and find the key
but I was too woozy.

I hit a pole head on.

After getting the salvage home, I and my ins adjuster jacked
the car up by the pan thinking it was the engine mounts
that caused it. The whole car raised so the mounts were OK

I then removed the kickdown and throttle cable.
Both moved freely. Huh?

I then noted the carb throttlelever was stuck at about 1 oclock.
I pulled it forward and it wouldn't budge.
I applied a little more english and it snapped back into
place and moved freely.

I took it off and inspected the paint on the intake,
no scuffs where a choke lever would hit or bind,
no wear marks from the butterflies on the gasket or inside the intake.
I inspected the carb thoroughly. There were no signs of a bind.
Whatever hung up was internal. My engine builder used BG carbs and
he disassembles them. He noted that they he has found
filings/shavings inside them and I guess that may have been my issue.

I called BG Tech and just asked if they would rebuild my
carb and asked if they have ever had one that stuck open
due to anything other than overcentering the cable.
The techs just gave me the same spiel in 3 calls.
I realized then that they were quoting the manual and the supplied video
I watched when I installed the carb. I asked for a supervisor and
got a voice mail.
He returned my call the next day but got my voicemail.
I left him another VM I asked about sending it back for a
rebuild due to it sticking.
I then called a tech and asked if the guy was in. He said
he was sitting right there, he transfered me and I got his VM again.
I got frustrated and called again,got VM so I left a message about
the throttle sticking and the crash. I said I just wanted the carb safe
so I could get rid of it.

Guy never called back and the techs wouldn't put me through to
him anymore. I asked my lawyer about suing but he said I got my ins,
no one died and it would be about $4k to test the carb with no
garauntee of a win.

Someday I'll get another slick :(
johnny

Post by johnny »

Heavyhauler wrote:Barry Grant/Demon Carbs

Yeah you guys probably know this story but since
there is a feedback thread here it is.

4 year resto on my 466/C6 Torino.
The car ran great for about 8 months and the carb was like EFI.
I was driving at 2pm on a sunny day.
The day after I turned 40 in fact.
I left a light at 35mph and there was a
car in front of me doing about 30.
I let up on the gas and the car kept going.
I pulled up on the pedal thinking it was stuck in the carpet.
Nope, Linkage I thought. I stepped on the gas to free it,
blipping the throttle kinda hard.
It stuck at nearly WOT

I hit the brakes but the engine easily overpowered them.
When I let up it was like a line lock and the car launched and spun.
I tried to get to the key but the car hit a tree dead center in the
back at 65+ knocking me out.

I came too a second later and the car was flying down the street
tires spinning. I tried to regain control and find the key
but I was too woozy.

I hit a pole head on.

After getting the salvage home, I and my ins adjuster jacked
the car up by the pan thinking it was the engine mounts
that caused it. The whole car raised so the mounts were OK

I then removed the kickdown and throttle cable.
Both moved freely. Huh?

I then noted the carb throttlelever was stuck at about 1 oclock.
I pulled it forward and it wouldn't budge.
I applied a little more english and it snapped back into
place and moved freely.

I took it off and inspected the paint on the intake,
no scuffs where a choke lever would hit or bind,
no wear marks from the butterflies on the gasket or inside the intake.
I inspected the carb thoroughly. There were no signs of a bind.
Whatever hung up was internal. My engine builder used BG carbs and
he disassembles them. He noted that they he has found
filings/shavings inside them and I guess that may have been my issue.

I called BG Tech and just asked if they would rebuild my
carb and asked if they have ever had one that stuck open
due to anything other than overcentering the cable.
The techs just gave me the same spiel in 3 calls.
I realized then that they were quoting the manual and the supplied video
I watched when I installed the carb. I asked for a supervisor and
got a voice mail.
He returned my call the next day but got my voicemail.
I left him another VM I asked about sending it back for a
rebuild due to it sticking.
I then called a tech and asked if the guy was in. He said
he was sitting right there, he transfered me and I got his VM again.
I got frustrated and called again,got VM so I left a message about
the throttle sticking and the crash. I said I just wanted the carb safe
so I could get rid of it.

Guy never called back and the techs wouldn't put me through to
him anymore. I asked my lawyer about suing but he said I got my ins,
no one died and it would be about $4k to test the carb with no
garauntee of a win.
thank god your ok sorry to hear that it was a beautifull car

:cry:
2) 55 f100's
2) 65 f100's
and all the other ford trucks my wife doesn't know about!!
07mike

roddoors

Post by 07mike »

Jonas wrote:Two sides to every story. I guess ????

It would be nice to hear his. He must have read this.

Based on the passion you used to exspress your experience. It would make me a little concerned.

Sounds like Garbz and some others have had good experiences.

Any thoughts on DC Healiners, anybody bought one?

I am defenitly frugal. ( hat doe s not match up with DC either.)
My experience with roddoors was all positive. I preordered all the parts for my 66 f100 and picked them up at spring carlisle.All the people on the phone and in person were very nice.When I finally got around to trial fitting the parts I found most fit nicely.Only proplem I had was with the panel behind the seat, it seemed a little to narrow. One phone call and they shipped me a longer piece that I can cut to fit at no charge.Excellant customer service.
Roger Carter
United States of America

Bad Experiences

Post by Roger Carter »

I attempted to buy a Powertrax No-Slip locker from Rocky Road Outfitters (for a '66 F-100). After 8 weeks waiting for shipment and another 3 weeks waiting for a partial refund, I was able consider my dealings with them done.
I could go into great detail on the subject, and bore you all to death. Suffice it to say that my dealings with Rocky Road were less than pleasant and I will not deal with them in the future.
If you choose to deal with Rocky Road, be wary of anything you may read in their ad, anything they tell you on the phone, or anything you may read in an e-mail.

Roger Carter
kevance

Bad suppliers

Post by kevance »

I purchased a m2 front suspension kit and rear end kit from TCI (Total Cost Involved) for my 64. Don't get me wrong the quality of the products was excellent BUT their customer service sucks to say the least. The directions provided, unless you do these installs for a living, provided me as much insight on how the components went together as they would (no offense) to a blind man. Several attempts to contact TCI via email and phone produced no results. Even the wholesale supplier had difficulty making contact. I will not buy from those guys ever again, I'll find someone else to deal with. All said and done the cost was 2,300 dollars and for that kind of money they could at least answer their bloody phone. Thank God for the internet or else I would have a pile of parts laying around for several more weeks!
f100matt

Post by f100matt »

Bought a speedometer cable from LMC for a 1965-1972 Ford Pickup with a four speed transmission. They sent me one from a 73-79 cable. Double checked the part numbers. When called customer service, the rep was very nice and easy to deal with, but clueless. Told me that I needed to order based on the types of ends the cable had vs. the year of the truck EVEN THOUGH THE CABLE I ORDERED WAS LISTED FOR MY TRUCK!
-1966 Ford F100, 352, 4 speed, smoke grey, mustang buckets
-2003 Ford Ranger XL, 3.0, 5 speed
-1989 Ford F250, 460, highboy, 4x4