A gent reporting form DragWeek. SOHC Galaxy

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Phil

A gent reporting form DragWeek. SOHC Galaxy

Post by Phil »

Someday I'll get another slick :(
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Jay Brown is my hero! 8)
Man, what does that guy do for money?? He's always playing with some neat old engine combo & has one killer shop to do it all in. His dyno setup is just awesome!

That sure is a bummer that he's had so much trouble this trip. He seems to be keeping his spirits up, though. I can't say I'd be the same, if I was there.

Here's today's report.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/me ... Week+Day+4
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

That's a tough break for such a cool car. How many can say they have seen a SOHC let alone driven one and here he is trying to run drag week in one. Give the guy alot of credit for what he is doing. 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :D
Tom Williams
MrEvil

Post by MrEvil »

I would so love a '64 Ford Galaxie 500XL with a SOHC 427 in it. However, I'd be too afraid to drive it. It'd be fun to blast away from some ricers in that's for sure.
Vehicles:

2000 F250 Superduty Crew cab
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor(work beater)
1961 F100 Uni (my baby)
1966 Thunderbird: someday.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I groan when I have to do a brake job in my own garage.
This guy rips a cammer down in a parking lot 4 times with no parts store anywhere with a even a SOHC valvecover gasket in stock :shock:
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

This Galaxie is so cool! If it weren't for the $$$$$ and the idiosyncrasies involved in setting up an 600+ hp engine with a 6-foot timing chain, I would love owning a 427 Cammer engine. The first time I heard a Cammer in person was in a Cobra replica (!) back in 1982 at a Ford Power Parts show in L.A. They are incredible and they really thunder! There was also a SOHC-equipped Mustang (67 fastback, I think) there, too.

Ford was way ahead of the curve when this engine was released in 1966. It is too bad Ford never was allowed to homologate the engine for NASCAR (the original reason for making the engine in the first place). They likely would have become more plentiful and less exotic, and maybe even offered in a vehicle, instead of sold over the counter only. Then they wouldn't be so expensive.

Also in SoCal there was a guy named George Boskovich (sp?) who owned 2 Boss 429 Mustangs, and one of them had a SOHC engine it it. Neither was anywhere close to original, and he had the money to drive the wheels off them. His cars were on the cover of HOT ROD or Car Craft, again, back in the eighties (I was fanatical about fast Fords back then).

Some other guy owned an all-aluminum SOHC in a Pantera (trying to recall, it was featured in a magazine years ago, and it may have had twin-turbos, too!). I never saw that one in person.

Here in Sacramento I saw a beautiful slick (66) with a Cammer in it, too, (Car Craft Street Machine Nationals, 1982, I think - anyone remember those?) but this was at least 20 years ago. I may have some photos somewhere. I think it had a very colorful paint job, as I recall. Anybody else seen a Cammer in a slick?

Drew
DCarr

SOHC

Post by DCarr »

Sorry , just saw this thread. Cammers bring back fond memories for me. The first hotrod I ever worked on was a cammer powered 65 mustang fastback in 1970.The car was built at a racecar shop in Laramie , Wyoming where i got my first job. Car was set up for B-Gas at the drags and B-Gas Coupe at Bonneville and ran low to mid 10s in Denver. One of the few built with stock front suspension (highly modified shock towers). Most had quarter leafs up front this one had coils. Started off with stock engine with Hilborns, Winters clutch C-6 ,Detroit locker in back. We had similar valvetrain problems when we switched to Crane cams (It peeled a lobe right away). Back to stock configuration-worked perfect ,set RPM limiter to 7200. The car disappeard until a few years ago , a guy in colorado found it in Kansas and restored it . It now looks like a shelby (blue with white stripes ),and the hilborns are EFI. The car has been in multiple magazines. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Tune For Maximum Smoke ___________________________________ 64 F100 Longsmoothie 65 Mustang Fastback