GhettoTech-Lowering

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

six-two

GhettoTech-Lowering

Post by six-two »

Anybody know how to lower a slick without spending much? I dont want to slam it, just drop it down a little. I figure that shackles in the back(junkyard) and some junkyard springs with a different profile in the front. Of course,I dont know what I'm talking about, thats why I ask.
I was hoping to spend less than $200 (Besides $ for poly bushings, I'm not counting that) I'm not too up with prices anymore, this is my first project in years.

(just sold my honda today to get money for my truck, it was awesome, the guy drove it home with no brakes, just the emergency which I would have done too but I'm nuts. Of course I did not recommend it- he was so psyched about the car he said he was driving it to work tomorow LOL!!!)

___________________________________six two
ABA

Post by ABA »

Throw some cinder blocks in the back and put some low profile tires on some 13in rims on the front :shock: :D
That should lower it some :wink:
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

ABA wrote:Throw some cinder blocks in the back and put some low profile tires on some 13in rims on the front :shock: :D
That should lower it some :wink:

well in that line of thought, i lower my 4x4s by adding firewood in the bed and a plow on the front. :clap:

now to be serious, the cheapest way to do a straight axle truck is to put the axles on top of the springs, for the twin i front i will let someone who has done one speak.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
boss9

Post by boss9 »

now to be serious, the cheapest way to do a straight axle truck is to put the axles on top of the springs, for the twin i front i will let someone who has done one speak.[/quote]

I was thinking of doing this exact thing. But I thought there would be interference with the centerlink or other suspension parts. Have you successfully done this mod ?
SOMETHING WICKED...
THIS WAY COMES !!
jva118

Post by jva118 »

IN MY OPINION, SAVE UP AND GO WITH THE MUSTANG II. IT COSTS ALOT MORE ,BUT LOOK AT WHAT YOU GET. I RESEARCHED EVERY AVENUE AND FINALLY BIT THE BULLET. I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH IT. RIDES LIKE A DREAM. ALSO YOU HAVE MANY MORE OPTIONS WHEN IT COMES TO HEIGTH. YOU CAN USE DROP SPINDLES, CUT YOUR SPRINGS, RAISE OR LOWER THE CROSSMEMBER IN YOUR RAILS DEPENDING ON HOW YOU WANT IT TO SIT. NOT TO MENTION YOU CAN MOVE THE CENTERLINE FORWARD TO CENTER UP THE WHEEL IN THE FENDERWELL. JUST MY TWO CENTS.
six-two

the low low rider

Post by six-two »

Cinderblocks, firewood, come on seriously guys I meant low budget- I use dirt instead, that stuff sosts money, its just that all the sand bloiwing around in my cab is starting to get to me. If I get rich I'm gonna pour a couple of inches of that fancy cee-ment in that there truck to lower it.

But....

I do like the idea of putting the axle on the "inside" of the springs, like boss9 I want to know are there many issues with the steering? Like will the tie rod come into contact with anything? I am not sure if I will do this anyways, it looks like the truck could be too low for me then. I know, I'm getting picky now, this is on a budget, I know that you usually get what you pay for.

_________________________________six-two
six-two

mustang 2

Post by six-two »

jva118

Yeah, I like your idea, I just want too keep it a little more "stock" than that, no good reason, I just like the way it looks. (and I'm cheap)

On the other hand I used to know a guy who put a camaro front end/PS/PB, chevy 350 in his 54 GMC and it did drive very nicely, it was cool in the aspect that it was very "useable" as it was his daily driver.
Comet

Post by Comet »

I'm in the process of having my axle dropped in front. About 3.5", plus a spring eye reverse. Should net me close to 5" total.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

If flipping the axle is to low I think you might just want to have your spring eyes reversed and re-arc them.

Fliping the axle (if it is posible,but I will get to that) would get you about 2-3"

the reasion I say if it is posible, is because I thought I would do that but there is some axle to frame clearance issues as well as stearing.

The stearing can be fixed with a spacer between the stearing rod and the spindle.

If you re-arc the springs and have the eyes reverced you can probably get 2" then if you do longer shackles then you could get anothe 1-2" without the clearance ishues.

The clearance ishues and between the axle and the frame inboard of the spring.

I may be wrong on my drop numbers but these are the things you should look at and concider.

my :2cents:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
six-two

shackles?

Post by six-two »

So are shackles a feasible option for dropping the truck or not? Would any junkyard ones work?THANKS
_______________________________six-two
Comet

Post by Comet »

"flipping" the axle (I call it spring under because you don't actually flip the axle) nets you the thickness of the axle PLUS the thickness of the spring pack. I'm too lazy to go measure, but that's what you'd get. I was too worried about messing with the steering and went with a dropped axle instead. There are no doubt issues with that as well, but I felt more comfortable with them than the spring under axle.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
jva118

Post by jva118 »

THIS IS A PIC OF MY TRUCK WITH A MUSTANG II WITH DROPPED SPINDLES AND A LOOP CUT IN THE FRONT. ALL I NEED TO DO TO RAISE IT UP 3 INCHES IS ANOTHER SET OF SPINDLES AND SPRINGS. THE GOOD THING IS I CAN SELL THE OTHER SPINDLES ON EBAY. OR KEEP THEM AND CHANGE THE LOOK OF THE TRUCK WHEN I GET AN URGE. THE GOOD THIS IS AS LOW AS I AM I STILL HAVE FULL SUSPENSION TRAVEL. AND AGAIN IT RIDES LIKE A CADILLAC.
[albumimg]967[/albumimg]
[albumimg]965[/albumimg]
six-two

lowering

Post by six-two »

Comet- Thanks for the reply, I might just flip the axle, dont know yet, I'll probably think about it over the winter as I live at 7000 feet and dont have a garage. (cold)

jva118- Damn that truck looks good!

MadMaxetc- How much would it cost to re-arc the springs and flip the eye over, it sounds like a good idea. THANKS!

____________________________six-two
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

six-two wrote:How much would it cost to re-arc the springs and flip the eye over,

Well you have to see if your current springs are any good.

You would have to find a shop that could do it and ask. It depends on a lot of things. I would look for an outfit that does the Big trucks like F-700 types. They would do springs and would know.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
six-two

thanks...

Post by six-two »

just wanted to say thanks again for all the good ideas.
BikerDude

Spring Company

Post by BikerDude »

Check out www.eatonsprings.com They make stock Slick springs and can make them in lower versions as well. Thier prices are fair. When I decide to update my leafs I'm going with them.