Cab Roof Clearance Lights - Opinions: Like 'em or don't ?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

BarnieTrk

Cab Roof Clearance Lights - Opinions: Like 'em or don't ?

Post by BarnieTrk »

Say Fellas,

I've been thinking about maybe adding some cab roof clearance lights to my F-250.

1) I don't seem to see too many Slicks out there with them. What is everyone's opinion on them - do ya like 'em or why you don't like 'em? :?:

2) Does anyone know if cab roof clearance lights were "Dealer installed" or were they optional from the factory? :?:

3) Were clearance lights standard on F-350s? :?:

4) It seems that some Slicks have three lights in a group in the center and then the two outer lights a bit farther out,,,, then others seem to have the lights equally-spaced across the cab roof; does anyone know what was "OEM"? :?:

5) I have also seen probably three or four different styles of clearance lights on Slicks, anyone know what style was the 'official' FoMoCo issued light style? :?:

Here is one light style and group positioning on a '64 CC F-350 stakebed:
http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j183/ ... CT0002.jpg

Thanks in advance to everyone for your knowledge, thoughts and opinions!
BarnieTrk :cheers:
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i do know that the cab lights in that pic have a ford part number and are still available from the big truck dealers. i will look and see if i can find them online.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

I like cab lights Had them on my 79 that I bought new. They were an opinion then. I believe the are standard on dualies.
Tom Williams
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

this is the original part number: D8HZ*15442*B

this is the change number: SIG/1319AY100
the above is a signal stat number and can probably be had from a napa store or the like. if nothing else, give your local sterling dealer a call with those numbers.
always

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Although not the same OE style as the earlier pic, I kinda like the looks of the #PAC-20-105 lights at: http://www.kcautomotive.com/pacer.htm
BarnieTrk :cheers:
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

yes, those look good on these trucks. they pop up at swap meets alot for cheap prices.
always

Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

I love them, my 66 Ranger parts truck had 5 of them, equally spaced with a "blink marker lights" button. N/C switch.
Mark

3ontree66
Canada

Post by 3ontree66 »

I like them. I had them on a couple of my old trucks, mounted them 3 in the middle and other 2 on the ends. Looks good that way. I'm thinking about putting them on my 61. They look cool at night. :rocker:

66 F100 300 4 speed! Power steering!
78 Kawasaki KZ650
75 Yamaha XS 650 x 3.
82 Suzuki GS850G.
ImageImage
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Noticed that the KCAutomotive site (link in Barnie Trk's post had this notation:
These lights are mandatory factory equipment on big rigs, one ton and above.

I personally don't like the lights on the smaller slicks but DO like them on larger trucks (F350 and larger). Just my 2 cents worth.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
don morris II

Post by don morris II »

i like them on 4x4s and bigger trucks but not on lowered trucks. i thought they were landing lights cause fords fly :D
FORD, FAST, FLYING, FIRST, ALL START WITH F IS,NT THAT "SLICK"
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I abhor them on pickup trucks. Can-t see where they serve any purpose unless your rig is approaching 7 feet high.

Other than that they remind me of those goofy purple lights the ricers put under their rigs
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

i dont like the looks of them on pickups...
they are more at home on the big rigs
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

3ontree66 wrote:Image

Technically speaking (according to DOT and Transport Canada) the three in the middle are "front identification lamps" to indicate the presence of a wide vehicle. The two on the outside are "front clearance lamps" to show the vehicle's width. They are required on vehicles that are 80 inches in width or wider. The requirements specify exactly three identification lamps spaced at 6 to 12 inches and a minimum of two clearance lamps at the widest points.

They serve no legal purpose on a pickup truck, but not because of height requirements. They are required to be at the highest point of the cab but their primary purpose is to indicate width.

They would be appropriate on a stakebed, flatdeck, tow truck, or cube van as long as the width was over 80 inches. I like the ones in the photo of the '64 F-350 stakebed that BarnieTrk posted.
greenindian

Cab Roof Clearance Lights

Post by greenindian »

I think they look great on trucks of all sizes. They can be especially cool looking on trucks that are restored close to factory spec. But to each his own. By the way have your local Ford dealer do a part number search for you using this pn# DOTZ-15442-A and you will come up with a group of dealers across the country that actually have these Ford cab marker lights in inventory. These look exactlly like the cab clearance lights I've seen on 61-66 1 tons; I bought 5 NOS ones from a dealer in NC who was happy to sell off the old inventory and now I've got the 5 lights I'll use when I do my frame off restoration.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i have or will put them on all mine except for the 2wd uni.
no need as it is a summer truck and not driven in the dark very much if ever.

the original marker lights are glass and chrome, better than the plastic ones i think.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
DCarr

Post by DCarr »

I especially like them on snowplow equipped trucks. :lol:
Tune For Maximum Smoke ___________________________________ 64 F100 Longsmoothie 65 Mustang Fastback
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

these are all glass, even the beacon.

[albumimg]3848[/albumimg]

my light show:
3 centered cab lights wired into ignition with blinker switch.
federal signal arrowstick directional flashing bar
a 3 strobe light beacon wirth random blinking pattern (wife says it makes her dizzy looking at it)
2 100w halogen "moose lights"
on the rear of the bar is a 3 light d.o.t. bar and stop ,tail, turn lights.
[albumimg]3508[/albumimg]
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
DCarr

Post by DCarr »

With those you have virtually seconds of warning before you get buried under a snowbank thrown by the snowplow! :rotflmao: Someday ask me how I know this.
Tune For Maximum Smoke ___________________________________ 64 F100 Longsmoothie 65 Mustang Fastback
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

3ontree66 wrote:I like them. I had them on a couple of my old trucks, mounted them 3 in the middle and other 2 on the ends. Looks good that way. I'm thinking about putting them on my 61. They look cool at night. :rocker:

I'm not sure about the three "middle" lights, but someone inside the cab of this pic seems to be gesturing with a "middle" digit....
Gene
1961 Intregal cab SWB 223 (getting 302 & TIB)
1969 LWB 302 automatic (Donor for the '61)
2000 F150 XLT SWB (Daily Driver)
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

GLindley wrote:
I'm not sure about the three "middle" lights, but someone inside the cab of this pic seems to be gesturing with a "middle" digit....

:shock:
i did not look that closely until you mentioned it but yes the 1 finger salute is being given.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton