You ever seen a Slick Cab Fly

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Kid
United States of America

You ever seen a Slick Cab Fly

Post by Kid »

Well Today Matt and I did. We were working on his 64 Thunderbird and decided to go into a freinds shop and mount up 4 Tires for it and decided since we were going we would load up a cab we stripped of all the good stuff off it and haul it to the scrap yard. Well we strapped it down on the trailer and headed down the Highway. we stopped once to check the straps and everything was fine so we took off again. Well a couple of miles farther down the road we happened to look back and seen the stap break and the wind catch the cab and lifted it straight up into the air and dropped it into the middle of our lane right behind us. When it stopped sliding it was upright and pointing foreward in the middle of our lane right behind us. It scared the crap out of both of us. The next car behind us got stopped and then went on and the second car back stopped to help move it off the road. We learned a GREAT lesson and were lucky no damage was done to any other Vehicle................Kid
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

That reminds me of earlier this year when I brought my 64 short home. If you look in my albumn you can see a pic with it sitting in the back of my other 64, I sweated bulletts all the way home waitng for it to fall out. I am surprised that I didn't rearend someone on the way because of watching so close.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Shouldn't have said any of that. Johnny Canuck is going to go into convulsions and probably spend the night in his cab tonight just to make sure everything is alright.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Yea we thought about JC and wermt sure we wanted to say anything, didnt want to dredge up bad memories for him........Kid
MattsIASlickShop

Post by MattsIASlickShop »

I had just said something about how weird it was to be taking slick parts away from the Slickshop to the junkyard. it was wild to see it take off though.I bet that guy behind us was glad he wasn't a tailgater....
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Sweet fancy Moses, I am now having flashbacks...
Glad to see to didn't turn into as much a disaster as mine tho :shock:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Man, that would suck. I'm glad it didn't become someone's hood ornament. :shock:

Johnny Canuck wrote:Glad to see to didn't turn into as much a disaster as mine tho :shock:

What did happen to yours? I was looking at your pics a while ago & noticed it looked as if it fell off the trailer? I thought I'd ask eventually. :D
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

the Cliff notes version is:
the total Jackass I had doing my bodywork at the time, after a mere 2 years and by that time $5000, was finally bringing home my painted cab. That cab was so good to begin, it didn't need need cab mounts or corners, I put new floors in it but could have easily got away with patches.
The roof was perfect on it before he started.

It fell off his trailer less than 1/2 mile from my house and oil-canned the roof beyond repair. I got a big back window roof from Mike Kimbrell, and got the truck to another body shop. Minus more money and a lot of grief, involving a lawyer and the RCMP. Tough lesson learned... stick with reputable body places where someone you KNOW has got good work done. That lesson, in the end, cost me ten grand. :roll:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Freind of mine has a sweet 66 longbed. It was hit in drivers door while driving it to work. He got a very nice Washington state cab from me, didn't need corners or mounts only some floor patches. Windsheild must have leaked. Had it at a bodyshop that actually went under water during a flood. Had it sandblasted and the floor panels welded in. Bodyshop quit working on it so he went to get his cab. Had a 65 F250 fire truck with a utility box on it. Put cab on top of the utlity bed and strapped it down. Now Scott only drives 55mph in school zones and was traveling at his normal rate. Hint, Scott got the entire Badgerlanf F100 club thrown out of the go-kart track in Wisconsin Dells one year. Well, at about 70 mph, after passing 2-3 cars, the nylon straps were cut through by the lip of the windsheild and the cab did a 1 1/2 off the top of that tall truck onto the highway. Destroyed that nice cab. The real tragedy is that cabs like that that one don't happen here in the rust belt.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

JC,
Think of that whole experience like going to University. At least that way the 10K, stress, disappointment & grief seems more "normal", ya know what I'm sayin there?

I cleaned the roofs off two cars on upper deck of a 2 story car carrier at about 60 mph by bridge. :shock: They fell on a guy behind me. :oops:

I was taking them to a drop off point according to the instructions the reciever gave me. He failed to tell me to split the centerline while going under an unmarked bridge. I only hit it by a few inches. What saved my butt was, bridge wasn't marked. No warnings at all. The town payed for that one. I was fortunate at that time. . . . :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

FBp 8)
Change is the Only Constant
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Yikes! :shock:
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Tough lesson learned...

That really sucks. Well at least you were able to come out on top, it looks darn good in the pics! :thumright:

FORDBOYpete wrote:
I cleaned the roofs off two cars on upper deck of a 2 story car carrier at about 60 mph by bridge. :shock: They fell on a guy behind me. :oops:

That sounds sorta like the reverse of what this guy did, then. :lol:

My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

I guess I'm just lucky. I picked up a southern cab and "put" it in my short/step bed F150 for 400 or so miles. The bed was too narrow for the cab to sit in, so the cab floor rested on one bed side and the back of the cab rested on the other bed side. I figured with no doors on the Slick cab, the wind would blow right through and life would be good. Had no problems at 80 MPH. I left it in my truck for over a month and drove it everywhere.
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo