It's finally here!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

My1stSlick
United States of America

It's finally here!

Post by My1stSlick »

Hello all! My name is Mark. I'm a newer member and just wanted to say that this site has been such a great source of insight for me. My grandad had a slick, passed it to my dad, and now it it's my turn!

Last week I took the family back home to Southern Louisiana on vacation and we returned with a 1966 F100 2wd swb. It has a 352 V-8 and 3spd tranny. Dad already converted the front drums to discs and had the engine rebuilt about a year or two ago. The Carter carb just got a rebuild. The exhaust is rusted out but it starts and runs fine (so far!)

Other than the bed floor being completely rusted out, the rest of the body is in suprisingly good shape, as well as the interior. I plan to order bed panels from LMC. Im also looking for new body bushings front to back. Anyone know if a urethane set is available?

The plan is to make this a weekend project for my 2 sons and I. As we progress thru the restoration, I'll upload new pics and talk about our progress. I look forward to talking to all of you soon!

Check her out and tell me what you think!
http://www.photoshop.com/user/morrowfam ... 94658b392f

Edit: Sorry to the Moderators... I may have put this in the wrong spot.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Looks like a good starting point in your photos. Looks like your Dad & Granddad kept it in pretty good shape.

Looking forward to see your progress.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Welcome and good luck with your truck. It looks like you have a good truck to work with. Keep the pictures coming as you progress.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

welcome.gif WELCOME TO THE SLICK 60'S FORUM, MARK! :hello:

Looks like a nice '66 you've got there!

Hmmm, let me see what I can see:

-- It appears to me (based on your pics) that it also had it's steering upgraded to power steering including the tilt steering column.

-- If I were you, for safety's sake, I'd seriously consider gathering up the necessary parts to switch the original single-reservoir master brake cylinder to a '68+ dual-reservoir master brake cylinder.

-- Do you have a tailgate for it? They come in handy....

-- Looks like the chrome front bumper is a later model piece.....

-- Looks like it has some Custom Cab stuff (padded dash, aluminum trim at the bottom of the padding on the dash face) but it doesn't have the Custom Cab sweep speedometer instrument cluster, or the aluminum trim around the windshield or around the tail lights.

-- There may be a Custom Cab aluminum grill beneath that black painted grill...

-- Somewhere along the line someone added some extra gages in the dash and recovered the seat.

-- It looks like the inner fenders are still pretty solid! That's Good!!

-- The bed floor doesn't look bad from the pic, what is in there now, a painted piece of plate steel or plywood?

-- I think I'd also see if I could locate a fan guard/shroud for it.

That's about all I can see or think of based on your pictures.

It looks like it should be a bunch of fun for you & your boys! :steering:
Take Care and keep us posted on your progress! :popcorn:
BarnieTrk :thumright:
65Lover
United States of America

Post by 65Lover »

Welcome fellow Texan! Welcome from Houston! Keep us posted as the restoration progresses!!
Ruth
'65 F-100 Custom Cab SB Styleside
'67 Ford Mustang FB
'68 Mercury Cougar

Slickstock Altoona Iowa
Slickstock Salina Kansas
My1stSlick
United States of America

Post by My1stSlick »

Thank you BarnieTrk for the great insight and advice and everyone else for the well wishing.

Barnie,
The glass was just replaced prior to me picking the truck up and I think my dad didnt specify with the glass guy that we needed the weatherstrip that allowed the trim moulding to fit in. I do have it but it's in ratty shape.

I plan on relocating the shifter back up to the column. The one on the floor is crap.

THANK you for the tip about the 68 model master cylinder! That will come in handy.

The bed is currently a 3/4 piece of plywood. The original bed floor is practically gone.

All in all, the priorities that I've defined so far are:

1) Move fuel tank out of cab and install another one between the frame rails under the bed.

2)upgrade the master cylinder

3) replace ALL bushings with as much urethane as I can or at least new rubber and hardware

4) address the rust.

Beyond that everything else is gravy.

Hey!! Anyone have a line on a company that makes a complete wiring harness? Alot of the insulation and bakelite plastic is brittle on this one.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Welcome to Slick 60s.
Uncle Skip has a wiring harness post in the Hints section (Click the link), there are several universal kits out there too.

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8110
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
ABA

Post by ABA »

:welcome: from South Carolina.
Your a lucky young man to have a 3rd generation Slick. The best thing is you know all the previous owners so you can ask them up front " Why in the heck did ya do that?" :wink:

The AM radio, is that original equipment?
My CC has the same radio in it is why I'm asking.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
deviant1

Post by deviant1 »

Welcome!
Nice truck. You have a very good starting point. Promise to keep that truck in your family.
61 f100 shortbed unibody
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

:welcome: from Indiana!

I am sorry I can't view your pics because my ol' PC can't support the software :roll:

Sounds like it will be a great project given the truck's history and the involvement of your two boys!

This site is THE place to be for help with Slick 60's!!!!
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Welcome and remember, Chris Windham, aka Purple Flying Monkey or PFM is just north of Ft. Worth and south of the Race track.
Uncle Skip
Houston
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
My1stSlick
United States of America

Post by My1stSlick »

Ahh, like around Watagua or Keller? I used to live there. Im in Rowlett now. (East of Garland) Thanks for the info!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

:welcome: from Alaska
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
BAMAFORD
United States of America

Post by BAMAFORD »

In response to what Barnie said, it's interesting how you could could "cusomize" these trucks from the factory. My father odered our standard cab 66 from the factory in late 65 with the padded dash and chrome trim, driver door pocket, automatic transmission, the extra guages beside the round speedo (ammeter and oil pressure), cig lighter, and emergency flashers. The body was very standard with painted from bumper and grill. The only "extra" was the aluminum trim pieces down the sides of the cab and bed.
The Second Ammendment is the Original Homeland Security
Truckrat
United States of America

Welcome

Post by Truckrat »

Hello from Okla Homa! You have a very nice looking truck. That side shot of it looks really straight. Paint looks like it was done recently. Either that or it spends a lot of time in a garage. Chris PFM, is in Haslet, about 8 or 9 miles west of TMS. We all have a get together every spring at Texas largest portable salvage yard, otherwise known as the Pate Swap Meet at Texas Motor Speedway. Next year we will have 20 spaces in zone 2A, back where we were last year. This year we were in Zone 3, but managed to scoot back down where we like to be for next year. You should come meet us there, and put names with faces. A good time is always had by all. Welcome to Slick 60s, the absolute best bunch of folks on the planet! TR