Bed mount kit for 66 styleside

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

My1stSlick
United States of America

Bed mount kit for 66 styleside

Post by My1stSlick »

I have looked thru the LMC catalog.. I can only find a bed mount kit for 67-72 styleside

Help me Obi-Wan, you're our only hope!

Seriously though anyone know of a urethane kit? I found cab and suspension kits , just need the bed now.
My1stSlick
United States of America

Post by My1stSlick »

I think I may have found one... it doesn't specifically say bed... instead body and cab. Any thoughts?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Prothane/311/6-110/10002/-1
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Well, me and the boys that placed my bed back on the frame after all the sanding and painting, we decided that a layer of innertube glued to the frame in at the contact points seemed like a good idea.

And thus far, it seems to be working.

I don't know that I have ever seen anything special for the inteface between the bed and the frame. There was nothing left of whatever Ford put there in 65, that's for sure......
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

All the ones I have seen just had the wooden blocks right on the frame. That innertube insulator is a great idea though Dave.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i just took the bed off my 66 and didn't see where there was anything there originally.
i like the inner tube idea though.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

I was just wondering when was the last time I saw an inner tube?
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

You can use 3M Q-Pads if you cannot find inner tubes and glue for it. They are pricey but the rest can be used to quiet the interior of your vehicle as well...
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

If the bolts that held the bed weren't good or broke trying to take them off, you will have a hard time finding the correct size. No hardware or parts houses (LMC, etc) have the correct size. Try a nut and bolt company (I found one in the yellow pages) to get them.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

USING A Inner tube sound like a great :idea: , NOT Since you will most likely run into ground probelms on electrical systems... cause running rubber along frame rail will prevent a good ground As long as the bolts are tight bed will not move or squeak butyou do need the wooden blocks like Greg says to avoid collapsing the bed runners,,,, of course you can always run a ground strap to be sure....
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

The bolts still touch the frame and the bed both, so ground is not an issue.

As to the wood blocks -- I need to take a better look at what you are talking about. Seems to be the cross rails had a metal "box"welded in them at the points where the rode on the frame. Are you suggesting that there should be wood in there? I need to crawl under my truck and take a better look I guess.

I will say -- I ordered a bolt kit and the bolt lengths were all wrong. Perhaps they changed things and the 65-66 are different than earlier (64) approach????
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

The later style side beds didn't use the wood blocks.
Only the Flare-sides used them.
They were put in the channels to keep the bolts from crushing the floor. I made a couple of sets for myself and sold every one I had, but they're not hard to make. And they only go where there isn't a piece of sheet metal on the bottom of the channel where the mounting bolts go.
If you think you can use them and don't want to make your own, see if you can get the Flare-side blocks from someone like LMC.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
My1stSlick
United States of America

Post by My1stSlick »

http://www.carolina-classics.com/Detail ... ategory=14

Im gonna call these ppl tomoorw and hope that this will work for me.
It is a bolt and pad kit for the bed.. $36
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

these kits if they have not changed,, All they are is a carriage bolt that you can buy in any hardware store since I have not seen any place with a shoulder bolts that is correct +++ as many trucks have taken apart have not seen one with a pad under the bed and most trucks I have still use a 1/2 pull bar to make that first loose on the bolt and like I stated before and this is my opinion only is when you bolt the bed down on these trucks and the bolts are tight the bed is not going to move squeak or any other unneccesary things that might you think might happen ++ original bolts are fine thread 64/66 with a shoulder to where then the 67-72 started using coarse thread bolts but still use a shoulder carriage bolts, If carolina classics is just using plain old carraige bolts I doubt you will get them tight like original ones where before they snap.. before buying I would ask to see,,, just my 2 cents
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
My1stSlick
United States of America

Post by My1stSlick »

Thanks, I will ask Carolina Classics whether they did their homework or not.