A proper hello

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

texasyeti

A proper hello

Post by texasyeti »

Hi there,

I posted a question earlier about a motor / tranny combo for my 64 shortie and was encouraged to introduce myself and put some pics up. Don't have to twist my arm....

The truck was bought after I saw it sitting in North Fort Worth. I had been looking for a while but seeing it there calling my name and it was a done deal in about 2 hours. As I said, 64 short bed custom cab. Body needs some help but all in all it seems to be pretty straight. Take a look:

Interior needs help along with a proper set of guages. Dog found her place quickly enough:

As I said, custom cab:

Beer cooler in door:

Wish it was the original color all around. Enough peeking through to make it cool though:

Here is some of the rust in the roof:

Came with a great bed guard. Weighs about 175lbs:

Issues with the hood. I guess someone did not care about lube on the hinges?

Hmmm....what's going to go in here? 300 6? 292? definitely a manual floor shift:

Coolest thing was about three weeks after I got the truck a gentleman in the neighborhood stopped buy. Said he had just sold a 66 he had gotten about 75% done and had some parts he wanted to get rid of. I said sure and we went to his rental house to take a look. He had two really nice complete doors (with glass), an excellent hood, 4 pretty good dog dish hubcaps, window mechanisms, drums, windshield trim, a washer fluid bag with Ford logo, two spindles for the 66 (won't work on 64) and lots of odds and ends. I asked how much and he said he just wanted to see them go to a good home. Asked for 100 bucks.

What a welcome to the community!

Anywho, glad I found this forum!
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Nice score on the truck and parts :welcome: from Al.
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

Looking at the truck maybe I should come pick you up and we can look the truck over.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
texasyeti

Post by texasyeti »

Brian, if you want to make the haul up come on! I can shoot you my address. I am in FTW just north of 121 off 35. If you want to come look later thats fine too.

I also noticed in another post that you needed a place to do some welding. When I had my garage rewired I had them plunk it a 30amp breaker to a 220 plug. I don't actually have the plug in since we were not sure what kind configuration was needed.

LSS - it's available.

Oh yeah, my neighbor across the street has a 62 uni camper special. Needs help but it is there.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

looks like the hood aspired to be a Forward Tilt.... LOL

nice truck. I dont know about the nasty peeling paint being "cool"... hahah well, MAYBE.... When Aggie was peely black with 50% gray (NOT Primer) showing through, and surface rust everywhere, one of my Indie buddies told me to NEVER PAINT IT.... lol
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

:welcome: From Michigan. Looks like a good start nice score on the parts.
Tom Williams
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

blackagatha wrote:looks like the hood aspired to be a Forward Tilt....
and here I thought that was one of those rare '64 cowl induction hoods? Bolt.gif

--- Nice Slick, Texasyeti !

BarnieTrk :wink:
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

Nice straight body on that little shortie. Heckuva score on those parts! I hear tell hoods alone go for $300.

Looks like a later-model trans mount crossmember was welded in for an auto trans. The dual exhaust and the engine mounts definitely say V8. Measuring accross the holes in the mounts should give a clue as to what engine was in there. Maybe it was a chebbie :shock: :wink:

They left in the original crossmember, so all you would need to go back to the 292 would be the front horse shoe mount.
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

Cool another DFW area person... :welcome:

You are a little south of me I am up off 287 and 718 in Haslet. looks like you got a decent slick. I got a couple of spare straight axle front ends if you need them let me know.
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
65Lover
United States of America

Post by 65Lover »

Cool truck!! Great find on the parts! :welcome: Welcome from Houston!

My '66 cab has rust thru like that, how are you going to handle it?
Ruth
'65 F-100 Custom Cab SB Styleside
'67 Ford Mustang FB
'68 Mercury Cougar

Slickstock Altoona Iowa
Slickstock Salina Kansas
61 Merc
Canada

Post by 61 Merc »

Welcome from the north, seems like better shape than we can get up here. Good luck with your project.

Dean
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Cool truck with a front tilt hood and a free dog to boot....Welcome to the best site for these trucks.
Doug
Riverside, CA
texasyeti

Post by texasyeti »

65Lover wrote:Cool truck!! Great find on the parts! :welcome: Welcome from Houston!

My '66 cab has rust thru like that, how are you going to handle it?
I'm wondering if I can go cut a piece out of a salvage truck and weld it in. I would require some skills - which i am not sure I have - but I think it can be done.
macgiobuin

Post by macgiobuin »

Nice! Looks like a good truck. I echo the "good score on the parts" sentiment. Welcome from Chattanooga, TN.
My Baby: 1966 F100
TxSlick66

Post by TxSlick66 »

I'm going to pull out a perfectly good 302 and C-6 and freshly built front disc brake I-beams from my 66 pretty soon. Not far from you. The beams won't work for you but the engine and tranny sure would... (OH, you said you wanted a row-stick on your tranny though.)

You will have alot of fun with that truck!
TxSlick66
aka MustangSteve

Money you ENJOY wasting is NOT wasted money...
greenindian

Post by greenindian »

Welcome from Gettysburg, PA! Great truck and thanks for sharing the pictures. welcome.gif
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

Met James (yeti) today. we went to a salvage yard and looked at a 64 for sale in Ft Worth with a 292. Real nice guy and can not wait to help put his slick together.
He is looking for an engine and tranny for his 64. If anyone has a 292 or a 300 I6 and /or a manual tranny give him a PM.
Chris I tried to steer him to the dark side (EFI) but he like the original 292 or I6 for his ride. He knows a lot of yards in the DFW area with slicks so we are going to check a few more out later.
Welcome again to the slick sickness.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
My1stSlick
United States of America

Post by My1stSlick »

Hey Texasyeti,
Welcome from the East side of the DFW... I'm out in Rowlett near Garland. Got a 66 F100 SWB that Im currently funneling my cash into.... If you and Brian ever want to meet up and team up for a junk yard scavenger run let me know. I have a flatbed car hauler we can use to tow big parts back on. Hope you enjoy it here. I have found tons of info and everyone is real friendly.

Mark
texasyeti

Post by texasyeti »

My1stSlick wrote:Hey Texasyeti,
Welcome from the East side of the DFW... I'm out in Rowlett near Garland. Got a 66 F100 SWB that Im currently funneling my cash into.... If you and Brian ever want to meet up and team up for a junk yard scavenger run let me know. I have a flatbed car hauler we can use to tow big parts back on. Hope you enjoy it here. I have found tons of info and everyone is real friendly.

Mark
Mark,
Thanks for checking in! We definitely need to get together and I am always up for a little "junkin'"!

I'll keep you up to speed on when I and/or Brian head out. Got any good yards in your neighborhood?