Turn Signal Question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

TonyC
United States of America

Turn Signal Question

Post by TonyC »

On my 62, I am installing a aftermarket gauges and removing the stock gauges in the cluster. It had the stock gas and temp gauge with a generator light (now alternator) and oil light. My turn signals worked prior to removal of the cluster, so everything is good on that end. The stock gauges are now removed from the cluster, and basically all it is now is a speedo housing as well as a home for the turn signal bulbs. But with now the turn signals do not work. Anyone know why this is? Or has anyone removed all their stock gauges before and had the same problem? Does the cluster still need to be grounded?
1962 F-100 Flatbed
2004 Road King Custom
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Turn Signal Question

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the bulb sockets must be grounded
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
TonyC
United States of America

Post by TonyC »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:the bulb sockets must be grounded
So the cluster housing needs to be grounded? I ask as I tried plugging the two flasher bulbs in to see, but they didn't work. Also the speedo cable wasn't attached either.
1962 F-100 Flatbed
2004 Road King Custom
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Get out your multimeter. Unplug the TS bulb harness (about 4 inches long). Put one lead in the wire the other on a good ground. Turn on the ts and see if the needle wiggles.
William-in-St. George
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

I have pictures in my album about doing this but I used 12v. LED's for the lights. I just grounded them to the bezel itself, no problem. I also cut a plastic ring to cover the old gauge holes and cutouts too.
Look on page 21

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
TonyC
United States of America

Post by TonyC »

Okay, when I pulled the bulbs out of the back of the speedo housing, I figured I could use the wiring schematic in my manual to figure out the turn signal wire colors. (1st mistake) But, the manual for a 62 is the 61 manual, and any changes were put in a suppliment manual, rather than a new manual for the year. Well, the wire colors in the 61 manual and my wires are NOT the same colors. Example....the (3) console light wires are supposed to be black w/red stripe, and none of my wires are those colors. And so on for the turn signals and high beam indicator. And the only light I can get to work now is the high beam indicator light, so I know which one that is. Also because of the length of the top console light, I know that one. But for each side, I have a side console light and turn signal that have the same length wiring, and I need to know which is which. Anyone know the right colors for these for a 62 F100?
1962 F-100 Flatbed
2004 Road King Custom
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

all round speedos use the same colors

instrument back lighting = blue w/red stripe
R turn sig is light blue w white stripe, L green w white stripe, hi beam green w black stripe

1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
TonyC
United States of America

Post by TonyC »

You know, if I could see, I would be dangerous. I was reading "BL" as black instead of Blue.

Thanks for the pic Iceman!
1962 F-100 Flatbed
2004 Road King Custom