Radiator support cage nuts?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

matt2491

Radiator support cage nuts?

Post by matt2491 »

Does anyone know where I can find the special rectangular cage nuts/clips that go in the bottom of the radiator support? It takes five of them. They look a little different from your average square cage nut.
Just driving my truck.
matt2491

Re: Radiator support cage nuts?

Post by matt2491 »

They look like this:

(photo cred: TA455HO)
Just driving my truck.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Best thing you can do is do away with those damn nuts and drill holes in the bottom of the support where you can put a socket up in there . Best of both worlds get more drainage in the bottom of the core support and no more problems with those things. Takes almost a 3/4 inch hole if I remember right, because you need a large washer to cover the hole from the bottom where those cage nuts go.

Rich
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I spent hours looking for them as well, they also hold the high transmission cover in place,that's ten more. If you find them please post them they were originally 5/16ths nf thread.
Turk build thread at:
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

64 f100 wrote:Best thing you can do is do away with those damn nuts and drill holes in the bottom of the support where you can put a socket up in there . Best of both worlds get more drainage in the bottom of the core support and no more problems with those things. Takes almost a 3/4 inch hole if I remember right, because you need a large washer to cover the hole from the bottom where those cage nuts go. - Rich
Hi Rich,

I'm not interested in replacing my core support, but I am interested in drilling some holes to provide more drainage to reduce the rusting issues with a Slicks' core support. Might you have one or more pics to share indicating where such holes should be placed, or at least provide a verbal description of the 3/4" hole placement?

Thanks in Advance,
BarnieTrk
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

You drill the holes directly below the nut placement holes. Easy to do if the support is off, but can be done with it on. If off, drill a pilot hole thru the upper clip hole. 3/4 inch will be very close to side metal if not touching side metal. Suggest you measure your socket that you would need to get hole size needed. I drilled mine at 3/4 because of the washer I used more than socket size. You almost have to have the radiator out to center on the bolts, or have another support to get the measurement from.
Rich
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

a 3\4" hole saw does a very nice job and fits in a standard drill chuck
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes