Ford Saginaw Power steering box to coil spring tower cleara

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bluebolt

Ford Saginaw Power steering box to coil spring tower cleara

Post by bluebolt »

I am putting a rebuilt Ford (Saginaw style) power steering box out of a 1977 F150 in my 1966 F100 2wd truck. It is hitting the left coil spring tower right by the shock. I looked at my parts truck which had the Saginaw style box installed and the box is right on the tower and there is a small gap between the frame and the box. What is the right way to fix this? Cut out a small piece of the tower? Heat it up red hot and beat it in? (Scary with a fuel line and filter right next to it) Grind the steering box a little? Any one out there with experience?
bluebolt

Clearance

Post by bluebolt »

No one out there that has done a late power steering swap? I ended up making a notch in the spring tower. In the future I will weld in a peice of plate to reinforce it.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Armed with the information you just gave us, we will know how to answer your question should you ever ask it again.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
65COOL

Post by 65COOL »

What year did the size of the box change I have one on my 1965 f100 unknow year power sreering box that fits good
1965 f100 short bed doing frame off (thundermaker)
1966 F100 long bed ratrod (towmator)
1965 F250 factory 4x4 (big muskie)
Gnant

Post by Gnant »

I just got done taking one of those off a 65 frame. The PO had notched the spring tower just as you did. Not much, but it was the only way it would fit.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." --- Will Rogers
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

The true way by some of these so called professional by the book people on some sites want you to change the drivers side engine tower, personally if you notch the tower and grind a liitle off the box will fit fine but you want it by the professional book method then find a 70/76 with power steering to get that tower
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
65COOL

Post by 65COOL »

i think he is saying he had to notch the spring tower i know you have to change the driver side engian stand or notch it.
aeromech

Power Steering in a '65 F-100 short bed

Post by aeromech »

As detailed above I had to grind a thumb size hole in the spring tower of my '65 F-100 to allow the P/S box from a '74 F-100 to clamp down flush with the frame rail. I intend to weld a thick washer around the hole just in case but I don't think it compromises the strength too much.
That leads to another mystery. On more that one of the '65 and '66 trucks I have seen have common construction rebar or other round stock welded to the top flange of both spring towers in pretty much the same places. Obviously not a stock addition but was it a common practice for these trucks? Was there weakness in the top of the spring towers or just concern that they were not as strong as the old solid I beam, leaf springs on previous years?
Thanks for you input.
Don-aeromech
65COOL

Post by 65COOL »

i had a 65 f250 that had the same thing welded to the spring tower
cdherman

Re: Power Steering in a '65 F-100 short bed

Post by cdherman »

aeromech wrote:As detailed above I had to grind a thumb size hole in the spring tower of my '65 F-100 to allow the P/S box from a '74 F-100 to clamp down flush with the frame rail. I intend to weld a thick washer around the hole just in case but I don't think it compromises the strength too much.
That leads to another mystery. On more that one of the '65 and '66 trucks I have seen have common construction rebar or other round stock welded to the top flange of both spring towers in pretty much the same places. Obviously not a stock addition but was it a common practice for these trucks? Was there weakness in the top of the spring towers or just concern that they were not as strong as the old solid I beam, leaf springs on previous years?
Thanks for you input.
Don-aeromech
Yes, mine has the rebar looking reinforcements welded on as well.

My Saginaw PS box touches the spring tower, but it also seens to bolt up flat to the frame. So I left it that way.

I have the feeling that the spring towers were an issue for Ford. They must have fiddeled around with them some trying to get them stable and strong. I suspect that if you have a truck that was driven hard, the spring towers may be bent a little back towards the engine. That would cause the problem with the clearance with the PS steering box.

That's my theory.......
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!