no heat:

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ezernut9mm
Sweden

no heat:

Post by ezernut9mm »

ok, i replaced my t-stat (the old one was working properly). both are 180* parts. i also replaced my radiator cap. all of this was to address a "whistle" on deceleration after highway driving.
i haven't road tested to see if i cured that problem, but i will this week.
anyways, i have a no to little heat issue.
at an idle from cold the engine will get up to 180 on the gauge and then cool off to around 160 or so. i assume this is the t-stat opening. during this time i have no heat coming out of the heater core. the inlet hose is hot, but the outlet is not. when i rev the engine the temp goes down on the gauge and i get heat out of the heater. not real hot, but heat.
i have made sure the heater core is not clogged by running water through both hoses and it is flowing freely.
this also tells me the heater valve is working.
so basically i have heat in the cab when the engine is running cold and no heat at an idle when the engine is up to temp.
any ideas???
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
61 Merc
Canada

Post by 61 Merc »

Maybe your flowing the fluid through the core backwards? :rotflmao:

Dean
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

ooh, kinda like if i play a country song played backwards? i get my dog, gun and truck back?
always

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: no heat:

Post by slick4x4 »

ezernut9mm wrote: any ideas???
move to Texas ? ... it never gets cold down there :roll:
'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i am really thinking about that. looks like it has to be south of dallas though.
always

Rusted64
United States of America

Post by Rusted64 »

You are welcome to the Houston area. :D
1964 F100, 292ci

1963 Buick Wildcat, 401ci

They just don't make them like they used to.
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

Air lock? Bleed the system by loosening the top hose at the heater, warm the engine to make pressure and shut it down before bleeding.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the problem is the heater core is plugged.

this is why only 1 hose is hot, nothing flowing thru the core, so just barely warms it up a bit.

you may be able to fix this easily by flushing the core.

go to the self serve car wash, take the heater core hoses off , stick the high pressure car wash hose in one and blast away. make sure to flush both ways.

or you could take out the heater and take the core in the house and make a mess in the kitchen sink.

btw the thermostat ratings are for "fully open" meaning @ 180 the therm has opened all the way. it actually starts opening around the 160 range.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

I'm confused. Why did you change the thermostat to stop a whistle????
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

Could the water pump be the problem the impeller gets loose when hot and causes low pump flow.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
realisticretiredone

Post by realisticretiredone »

Do you have the heater control knob on the dash pulled out, if not your only geting heat to the defroster vents
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

R Pope wrote:I'm confused. Why did you change the thermostat to stop a whistle????
i changed the radiator cap to see if the "whistle" was escaping pressure, the thermostat was just something i did because i haven't done it and don't know when it was done before. plus it was running cold so i thought maybe it was stuck open.
i probably shouldn't have posted the question yesterday considering all the libations that were enjoyed during the afternoon. lol after reading my post, it really doesn't sound like i thought it would.

brian, i did flush the core. very good flow.
i am starting to thing the water pump impeller is toast as mentioned above. not sure how i would check that though. i guess i would take the pump off and see what i can see. are they "open" on the back side?
always

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

so i read the original post again.

you are heating up the core while the thermostat is closed (warmup) and this is correct as the hottest coolant is on the block side of the t-stat and exits before the t-stat into the heater hose.
its after it opens the heat goes away. low coolant level will also cause this.

i just dont think you ever get enough heat out of a 180* thats why i have always used a 195*.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Astrowing

Post by Astrowing »

Hey it does get cold in Texas! Why just last week it was 23F here and the ice on the elevated freeways provided a situation that Houston drivers can't handle. PIttsburg and Green Bay both moved their practices indoors in Dallas because they couldn't handle the cold. :D

I agree with the 180 degree causing the engines to over-cool with those little engines and huge radiators really designed for larger trucks that are working hard. I'm thinking about putting a 195 in mine now. It's really better for engine wear if it doesn't cause heating issues.
1961 caribbean turquoise flareside 223
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

If the engine is cooling it won't be the pump. Try covering the rad with a few pieces of cardboard. That'll get the temp up enough to tell if the heater works. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge. My 240 six needs a solid piece of cardboard blocking all air flow to get any heat in -20 weather. Even then the heat gradually decreases on the highway, comes back up in town.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

R Pope wrote:If the engine is cooling it won't be the pump. Try covering the rad with a few pieces of cardboard. That'll get the temp up enough to tell if the heater works. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge. My 240 six needs a solid piece of cardboard blocking all air flow to get any heat in -20 weather. Even then the heat gradually decreases on the highway, comes back up in town.

195* puts out great heat in a 6 cyl @ -25F, no loss at highway speed.
never been cold in a ford truck yet.

i do see some cars/trucks with cardboard but i refuse. heater either works or gets fixed so it does.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

this is the first ford truck i have owned that didn't heat properly.
i will try flushing the core again, but it flowed strong the last time i did it. is it possible that there is stuff (rats nest) in the box? i might take the cover off and see what the core look like.
always

charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Neither of the hoses is clogged or collapsed?
You could, just for fun, switch the hoses at the heater core. I think it can matter which one is the inlet and outlet. If the top is used as the inlet and there is an air pocket, the air pocket may remain because the coolant flow is going opposite the direction the air pocket wants to travel. If the inlet is on the bottom, the air pocket can more easily escape since it is going with the flow.
Here in Atlanta, my heater does a fine job with a 180 degree thermostat. It'll get it hot enough that I have to turn it off. Assuming no significant holes in the cab, I can guarantee, teens and above it will do fine.
How do you know the valve is working? I didn't understand that part.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

Wouldn't want to argue about cold weather with an Alaskan, but very few cars or trucks run warm enough in the Prairies without a cover on the rad. Blowing snow kind of overcools anything.
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

ive seen a six in a falcon that didnt overheat with the fins on the water pump missing. heater didnt work very good.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed