Question about brakes

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cwindsor

Question about brakes

Post by cwindsor »

I have a 63 Slick that I am going to swap the front from Drums to Discs.... I found the CPP Disc kit for my truck.
They want $300 for a brake booster.... Is that the only options for a brake booster or will something else OEM bolt on?

I now I will need a P Valve since I will have drums in the rear and discs in the front.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Re: Question about brakes

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Think the disc kit from Speedway is cheaper. Just sayin'.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

I used ECI back in the day. There are only two special items that you need and you should be able to buy them by themselves from any of the suppliers. The bracket that the calipers bolt to and the spacer you need to adapt the newer wheel bearings. You should be able buy them for less than $150.00. Everything else you can get at AutoZone, et al.
Sure save a lot of money on shipping.
If you decide to go this way let me know and I'll post the parts list for the other parts.
You'll need new later model Ford rotors, GM calipers and hoses to fit your truck, inner and outer wheel bearings, Grade 8 mounting bolts, a Wilwood proportioning valve, and almost any Ford master with a booster that fits a disk/ drum setup. (Small Granada works for a power unit).

Here is a picture of the bracket for the calipers. The spacer is hard to see but its on the wheel spindle up close to the boss.

Good luck and let us know if you need more help.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

I have the CPP kit on Agatha. I DO NOT like it.

The brackets neglected a large protrusion present on EVERY stock-style GM caliper. If I replace a caliper, I must first break out the angle grinder and spend half an hour making it go away.

Not to mention, I despise the GM calipers. they have a lovely habit of dragging, getting hot, pulling, etc. the pins also have a way of getting loose if you don't set them with a hammer on the allen wrench.

My understanding of it is that the kits that use a Ford caliper ultimately work better. And you don't have to feel dirty about using GM parts (for no apparent benefit)
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
cwindsor

Post by cwindsor »

Skip... sure would like the list... your right on shipping! It's would cost me $80.00
To get it shipped. :cussing:
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

In response to your "original" question......I used a 2000ish Ranger brake booster and with just alittle fabbing it works GREAT! couple of bucks at the junkyard !

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Which kits use a Ford caliper? That'd make it real easy. Essentially the major components of an early '70s disc/drum setup can be swapped and should be set up just about right for the weight distribution.

Make sure a booster will fit. On mine, I don't believe I could get the valve cover off with a booster in place. If that is a problem, I know I've seen remote mounted boosters. Not sure where, though. My non assisted setup works pretty good.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.