Barrett Jackson selling a unique Slick.......

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slick4x4
United States of America

Barrett Jackson selling a unique Slick.......

Post by slick4x4 »

Who's got deep pockets ?
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/APPLICAT ... .1&aid=466
Want to guess how much $$$$$ ?
'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Re: Barrett Jackson selling a unique Slick.......

Post by ezernut9mm »

i like it. i know it's not the original, but it's cool that the xl is getting enough attention to warrant a clone. jmho, if you are going to do the "gasser" look, dump the exhaust in the front fender well. please!
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
BobbyFord

Post by BobbyFord »

That one is definitely faster than the original, but neither were a factory built truck.
I'd pay more for the newer, faster truck.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

My bet is the seller won't get their money back ! :burp: Nice truck would love to own it.

Danny
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

Not for me.

I hope the new owner puts some big wheels on there and a zebra interior.

To many rumors that BJ drives up prices with shill bidders, I dont even watch anymore.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

its just a copy of a truck that BJ will run the bid up, I will pass since its been on craigs list and e-bay,, had to be same truck unless somebody is building clones in mass production,, then it takes away from the real one
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

I still like the original, and the guy who owns it.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
BobbyFord

Post by BobbyFord »

Neither truck is a factory drag truck so you'd just be buying someone's modded old truck. IMO, whichever truck is done with the newest parts/technology is the truck that should bring more $$
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

:iagree: WITH Charlie
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. It is my understanding that Ford commissioned the work on the F100XL, and supported the racing efforts. That makes the original a Factory Experimental (FX) and that is what it was campaigned as. That also tends to make this one simply a copy with no factory sponsorship or race history. Such race history and documentation of origin has been proven to be a factor in value, IMO. You are denigating the majority of Ford's 60's racing history by stating the REAL F100XL is NOT a factory drag truck. Following that line of thought would indicate that the original GT40's were not Ford racing vehicles.
As to your other statement, I don't know anything about the condition of your Mustang; I guess that means that putting a 460 in it would up it's value in your opinion. Expounding on that; are you indicating that a Boss 429, for example, would likewise increase in value with the substitution of a later model engine, maybe a 5.0?
Everybody's entitled to their opinion; mine is that the original will retain a higher value for the reasons I stated.
I pretty well agree with the other posters; this represents a nice truck, but the only kinship it can claim to the original is strictly cosmetic. In an age of "tribute" vehicles, I would hope that is what the builder/owner seeked to achieve; it appears to be a good example from that perspective.
:2cents:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
BobbyFord

Post by BobbyFord »

Not sure if the last post was directed toward me but neither of the trucks were commissioned to be built by Ford Motor Company. The "original" truck was built by Dearborn Steel Tubing. Neither truck was a Ford factory drag racing vehicle nor was either truck sponsored by Ford or had any Ford Motor Company financial backing. Both are just trucks that somebody modified for the dragstrip. Neither truck has any historical value. Neither truck was a Ford factory-backed race vehicle.
Every single Ford factory-backed race GT40, Shelby Cobra, Shelby Mustang, Ford-sponsored drag car has a Ford Motor Company paper trail authenticating the race history.
BobbyFord

Post by BobbyFord »

Hunter's 64 wrote:http://f-100xl.info/

Danny
"...Dearborn Steel Tubing... They even offered this as a conversion package from DST for $3400,..."\
DST built the truck, not Ford. For did not commission this truck to be built. It's nothing more than a modified truck from the 60's.

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/ ... hp?t=21936
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

That would be sweet with a Y Block.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Toyz wrote:I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. It is my understanding that Ford commissioned the work on the F100XL, and supported the racing efforts. That makes the original a Factory Experimental (FX) and that is what it was campaigned as. That also tends to make this one simply a copy with no factory sponsorship or race history. Such race history and documentation of origin has been proven to be a factor in value, IMO. You are denigating the majority of Ford's 60's racing history by stating the REAL F100XL is NOT a factory drag truck. Following that line of thought would indicate that the original GT40's were not Ford racing vehicles.
As to your other statement, I don't know anything about the condition of your Mustang; I guess that means that putting a 460 in it would up it's value in your opinion. Expounding on that; are you indicating that a Boss 429, for example, would likewise increase in value with the substitution of a later model engine, maybe a 5.0?
Everybody's entitled to their opinion; mine is that the original will retain a higher value for the reasons I stated.
I pretty well agree with the other posters; this represents a nice truck, but the only kinship it can claim to the original is strictly cosmetic. In an age of "tribute" vehicles, I would hope that is what the builder/owner seeked to achieve; it appears to be a good example from that perspective.
:2cents:
Paul
x2

its
its only a copy and would have been better without things like the electronic dash and a true clone would have the original 427.
if i had the $ and the choice i would want the original its not even a close contest.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

x2 ^^^^^

Danny
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I'm with Charlie too.
I have sat in the original and spoken to it's (original, outside of Ford Motor Company that is) owner.
It WAS a factory race truck and was built at the same shop as the Thunderbolts all came out of. They were ALL factory drag machines.
It was campained by Ford for the Delaware Ford dealers, among others.

The owner of the XL told me that a LONG time ago, Barrett Jackson came calling, offered him a very tidy guaranteed sum for the truck, which he turned down flat.
The Henry Ford Museum wants the truck back... Ford claims he should never have been able to own it, but he has the title papers, and Ford ain't getting it back until he is finished with it. :lol:

as for the clone... it is really not very close. It's supposed to have a side oiler 427. It is supposed to be a short '63 Unibody with a big back window. It is supposed to have a padded dash, Falcon bucket seats, chrome bumper and vinyl roof.
The supposed "Clone" has none of those things.
I'd say its more of a "Fail" than a clone.

and of course, the Gennie (click to hear it run)
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on December 24, 2012, 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
BobbyFord

Post by BobbyFord »

:oops: I guess I stand corrected :)
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I thnk most of us would prefer the original
But you have to admit.....
If the "clone " showed up at SlickStock , we would be all over it
'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

JC Also wrong grill, wrong wheels, exhaust pipe wrong, wheres the s/s trim around windshield ? OH Yes did a lot to the clone But is it or not a clone suppose to be exact as original and can tell the difference :dontknow: :hm: :hm: :hm: :oops: still a nice truck thou this is what I see,,, the clone will go through BJ'S Auction and when they hear its a clone,, somebody with deep pockets will track the original down, and only see where it goes from there ?
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS