Crown Vic or Mustang II???

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Malibusurfer
United States of America

Crown Vic or Mustang II???

Post by Malibusurfer »

Ok,
I am at a crossroad... Read both arguments for and against.... The CV is a great front end and decently priced, but people say they are a bit wide and wheels are tough to find ( true??? )
Mustang II front ends are tried and true, but expensive....
Any input from anyone who has done either one??? Pro's or cons of either greatly appreciated....
Thanks.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Re: Crown Vic or Mustang II???

Post by Gritsngumbo »

You'll probably get a better answer to your question(s) if you post them in Truck Talk. This category is designed to post "Hints and Tips" on solutions to problems.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Malibusurfer
United States of America

Post by Malibusurfer »

Was not sure where to post... I"ll try over there or try a monitor to move it..
Thanks.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

..........or, you could use the crossmember mfg'd by Industrial chassis that uses Dodge Dakota spindles, control arms, R&P, etc......do a search on here, it's been discussed, and Steve (LM14) recently posted pics of his install......
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Since none of my conversions are completed; I can't address anything but the parts themselves.
It pretty well boils down to personal preferences.
The MII conversions are pretty straight-forward and probably the most versatile since you can pretty well order the exact setup for your individual needs as far as mounts, wheel pattern, brakes, spring rates, etc.
The CV is a little wide for some taste; I prefer the "tucked-in" look of a narrower setup; but, if you maintain the factory wheel offsets; it's not a big departure if you plan the "big n' little" staggered wheel look. Late model Mustangs utilize a similar offset, so I don't see aftermarket wheels being a problem. If you prefer the original "steelie" wheel approach, you're stuck with the OEM CV wheels, or custom wheels which, to me, do not duplicate original appearance due to the obvious offset.
If you are planning a "mod-motor" installation, everything falls readily in place with the Crown Vic, and the matched components are somewhat beefier, especially if using the P71 setup. Matching the 5 on 4.5 wheel lug pattern on the rear can be easily accomplished, and the 77-up pickup rear assembly can provide the extra width if one prefers to be able to run interchangeable wheels and tires front and rear. The 'Bird or Mark VIII IRS rear also matches well as to width and OEM wheel offset, although, again, the lug pattern is different.
Basically, you "pays your money, and you takes your choice"!
As far as a real world driving comparison, that is in the distant future in my case(s) :(
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
cwindsor

Post by cwindsor »

I had a Crown Vic front end I pull from a local pull a part that had 25,000 miles on it.... A guy seen it in one of photos before I was going to install it and offered my CRAZY money for it so I had to let it go... :roll:

I Paid $160 for the whole front clip and sold it for $450.00
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

cwindsor wrote:I had a Crown Vic front end I pull from a local pull a part that had 25,000 miles on it.... A guy seen it in one of photos before I was going to install it and offered my CRAZY money for it so I had to let it go... :roll:

I Paid $160 for the whole front clip and sold it for $450.00
Mine would be for sale, too, at that price!
:shock:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Indy63

Post by Indy63 »

If you're on a tighter budget, put a Jag front end or Ford/GM clip in it. The '03+ Crown Vic setup is fine if you want to run 16" or larger wheels with a lot of positive offset. Welding is required any way you go, and a clip swap can easily be done cleanly if you know what you're doing and plan it out. The Jag setup is about as easy as it gets if you can find one.
Malibusurfer
United States of America

Post by Malibusurfer »

Thanks so much guys for the responses!!!! I figured I was going be welding no matter what (no biggie), but needed a solid direction to go....
Crown Vic front ends go for about $400 out west here at the yards...
Now I have some decisions to make...
Indy, what front clip from Ford/ GM would be the easiest and look right do ya think?????
Thanks!!!
aarons428
Germany

Post by aarons428 »

I have a 74 Torino front clip under my truck and has been great since the day I put it in. I like keeping it all Ford. That style front end has been used for lots of years 65-79 or so.
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

This is an earlier Panther (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car) clip of the same vintage as RickAirMedic's full-frame conversion. IMO, it takes considerably more knowledge and experience to correctly install a clip as compared to slipping in a '03 -up assembly. While the earlier Panther's components are more than adequate for police pursuit and taxi service, the later removable cradle cars improved on an already solid platform. If width is the concern, the earlier Panthers make an excellent choice, whether full -frame conversion or clip. :2cents: This one is well boxed and rigid as well as dimensionally accurate.

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Malibusurfer
United States of America

Post by Malibusurfer »

Paul,
What years were those made??. Obviously pre '03, but curious how far back to look for. Is the width narrower than the '03 and later version??
Sounds like I have a pretty vast array of options to choose from...
As a kid riding in my 62 truck ( given to me by my folks ) that straight axle was always shimmying and felt unsafe over 45mph... Going with way more power, so want to have disks up front to stop... :)
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Malibu the chassis I am using is a 1988 . This same chassis was used from 1979 through 1991. I am using the full drivetrain and the 1988 had the roller 5.0 in it as well as AOD trans but no air bags " safety not suspension " :D .

This is the basic body you are looking for for this style Crownvic with changes to the front and rear sheetmetal through the years .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

This is what it looks like right now :D. I have cut the windshield off and taqken the dash out as well currently.

Rick
Malibusurfer
United States of America

Post by Malibusurfer »

Rick,
I'd say your going for it!!!!!! :D
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

LOL the sad part is I had planned to have the chassis under my 62 intime for The Street Rod Nationals but work and rain kept that from happening . I will have her on the road before the end of September which is the next major Cruise in in my area .

I am currently working on removing extra wires I wont be needing and of course it has rained on and off all day today . All I have left is trimming the wires down and trimming down to the firewall and its ready to slide under my 62 Uni.

She does still start run and drive at this point :D.

Rick
Malibusurfer
United States of America

Post by Malibusurfer »

I hear on time. I have had my 62 short uni sitting for 4 years now after the 223 locked up on her.. Yarded motor and she's empty in the engine bay calling at me to give her a new life !! Have motor being build for her, but a slow process..
She is just sitting and it's killing me !!!!
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

I have had mine almost that long finally found the right donor last summer and here we go :D. I have a build thread going down in projects and builds if you decide to go this way :D. Lance AKA Foodstick also has a buildthread down there but he just used the chassis under his Uni .

Rick
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

This is how my 62 Short Uni sits at the moment LOL.

Rick
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Four + years is pretty normal around here :roll: . With the exception of Spot, the shop truck, and the old tow truck, my Slick collection has been pretty well Kubota powered for the last few years :? .
I believe Rick has dimensions posted in his build thread; I can provide any other dimensions related to the front clip, the late CV, or the Fatman style MII conversion. The older Panthers are narrower; Foodsticks pics will show that; and, of course, the wheels are the standard offset used by many V8 Ford passenger vehicles for generations. This makes selection of wheels easier and cheaper in most cases.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul