Combine two to make one?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Country

Combine two to make one?

Post by Country »

Truck#1 is a 1966 f100 custom cab long bed. I drive this truck about 4k a year. It has 45k original miles one owner. I've owned this truck for two years. Truck has a rust free cab and front clip/core support. Bad seals and cracked windshield. Bed has minor rust,dents and dings .Engine is a 352 with a clunky watercooled cruso auto trans. Truck has a title.

Truck #2 is a 1966 short bed standard cab. Truck cab has the standard rust in floor pans and cab brace and one cab corner. Would require repair to fix rust. Core support is rot on bottom and one inner fender is shot. Hood is shot as well. All seals are bad and window is cracked. Bed floor is in fair condition and outside of bed has one dent that would need to be delt with. All bed side trim is pefect. Truck has no motor and was set up as a three speed. This truck is a true project. Truck has a title. Basically I purchased this truck for the title frame and bed.

Im considering trading the front clip/one good fender and cab from the long bed to the short bed. Of course brakes, engine, tran will have to be purchased and installed. The old 352 is tired. This would make a nice shortbed custom cab after paint and a minor restore.
This would leave me a long bed that would be sheet metal and a title.

What would you guys do?
1966 Ford F100 Custom Cab - 240 Frame off restoration completed.
1966 Ford F100 Custom Cab - 352 Semi daily driver gallery/image.php?mode=medium&album_id= ... e_id=10139
1966 Ford F100 Short Bed project
bruceandersson

Re: Combine two to make one?

Post by bruceandersson »

That's a loaded question. If you want to carry 4x8 material without it hanging out the back, the long bed is the way to go. What truck do you want? Once the cab comes off, most people tend to go much further with their project. This is referred to as the mushroom factor in home remodeling. You not only find things you did not know needed to be fixed , but as long as I am going this far, why not ....... What ever you do have fun.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I think you made up your mind when you bought the short bed. This is what you had in mind all along. As to the cm , replace it with a C6 or whatever is appropriate to the engine you are installing. I've already found that parts for the CM can be hard to find, as I had one done. Engines are the least of your problems. Some go for the engine first and when it comes to the hard part ( bodywork ) , they wimp out. Not for the faint of heart, or someone who gives up easily. I've always called it snowballing when it comes to a project, the farther you roll it the bigger it gets. Before you start this project make sure of the direction you wanting to go. Count your sheckle's , cause it is going to take many $ to get where your going. I would do everything to the shortbed you could without taking the long bed apart until you need the parts. This way, you can use the long bed until the last few weeks.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
deadheadno1

Post by deadheadno1 »

The long bed truck sounds like the easier of the two to build, it is all in what you want in the end. I prefer long bed trucks myself because they give you a smoother ride in stock form.
Tom :2cents: :mrgreen:
"Make him a "deal" deal, maybe the guy's a republican!"