New to the forum & my new '65

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Rappy

New to the forum & my new '65

Post by Rappy »

Hi guys. New to the forum here, just found it. I just brought home my first "Slick" yesterday. It was my buddy's truck from 1996. I always thought it was cool and after bugging him every so often I finally got him to sell it to me. It is a 1965 F100 shortbed 2wd. It was his daily driver for a good while until he finally killed it and it's been sitting in an old barn for the past 8 years or so. I haven't seen it in years, and it's going to need a good bit of help.

It has a 300 6 in it with a 3 on the column. The body has always been really solid rust wise, but I was a little disappointed to see I am going to have to replace the floors. It currently has old street signs sheet metal screwed to the floors...ugh. A little rot in cab corners, but still pretty decent overall. No longer runs...wiring issues. The 300 is out of an 80's somethingorother and replaced the original 240. But if I remember right they used the head off the 240 so it's got high compression? Needless to say he isn't real good with mechanical things and this is the end result. I always kinda figured this truck was too good for him, anyway. :thumright:

My plans for it are a roller 302/351, AOD tranny, power discs and power steering...a nice cruiser. I have been spending some time doing some research here and elsewhere and it seems like I can do almost all of my mods from boneyard trips...which I love. This will be a quality build on a budget.

I love the truck, always have, and look forward to saving this thing from the slow death it was enduring in that barn. I think I did okay for $500!

Also in case anybody cares, here is my build video of my '68 Falcon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cIGc-9lzs

1965fordf100
United States of America

Re: New to the forum & my new '65

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Welcome from Reno, NV! Nice looking project!
Phil
61blacklowrider
United States of America

Post by 61blacklowrider »

Welcome from Sun Valley, Nevada. Sweet looking truck with a ton of potential. I've got a roller 302 plus an AOD in my 61 and a 351 Windsor + AOD in our 1929 pickup, and both are great runners. good choice! :welcome:
Bob
mac
United States of America

Post by mac »

solid looking truck. looks like you could swap the wheels off the trailer for a little upgrade haha
64 f100 shortbox 292 3spd
Rappy

Post by Rappy »

mac wrote:solid looking truck. looks like you could swap the wheels off the trailer for a little upgrade haha
^^ LOL :laughing:
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Welcome from the third coast! VERY impressive Falcon (and video!) I'm a big fan of the third (and fourth!) generation Falcons. I've had a few sleepers thru the years!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Rappy

Post by Rappy »

Toyz wrote:Welcome from the third coast! VERY impressive Falcon (and video!) I'm a big fan of the third (and fourth!) generation Falcons. I've had a few sleepers thru the years!
Paul
Thanks man! I poured my heart and soul into that thing over the past couple years. Soon (parts ordered and on the way) it's going to be getting a TCI IFS front end....bye bye shock towers!! Can't wait...

It's certainly not a budget build....as all parts in it are high quality...and its the reason I sold my Bronco (broke lol)

RAP
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Cool looking truck.

I like the colour.

Nic
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Nice Falcon! Proves you're not in over head with the Slick. If you have the rust in the pans don't be surprised or discouraged if its in the mounts too. or other structural places.

I vote for a 351 with an AOD! 302 nah! not enough grunt for that.

Good luck have fun an keep up with pics along the way. This is a really helpful forum. 8)
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Wow looks like a great deal for $500!

Nice lookin falcon too :thumright:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Nice Looking Truck. $500.00 Is A Steal For A Solid Builder Like That....
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I vote for a 351 with an AOD! 302 nah! not . 8)[/quote]

X2; 'course there's always those, er, 385's :twisted:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Rappy

Post by Rappy »

Thanks for all the props guys. Today while I was at "work" I found a '78 F-150 in a nearby boneyard that has all the front suspension/brakes/power steering etc on it. Think I might be tearing that thing apart on Friday...

Only thing is from what I have learned on the interwebs is that the power booster/MC might not work because it's a '78...might have to find a pre-'73 for that? IDK, maybe I'll just throw the hydroboost from the falcon onto this rig since I am removing it anyways for the IFS conversion.

As far as 351 vs 302 goes....it really depends on whether I want to attempt to tow my Falcon to the track with this little shortbed or not. It seems like the slick might be a little light and short to do it safely. I think it weighs about the same as the Falcon....anybody here tow anything with one of these? If I decide I want to try it I will track down another roller 351 (the falcon Motor would be perfect! lol) ...then stroke it to a 408 or 427...oh wait there's that whole "budget" thing.

I like the idea of a 302 because I have already found an explorer donor with the GT40 heads on it....just rebuild it and go!
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

I used a 78 on my 66 by making a 3/4 inch spacer to go between the bracket and cowl to lower the pedal. I narrowed the 78 pedal where it would go in the bracket and used it to get a wider pedal (wife is a left foot braker)

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
Rappy

Post by Rappy »

longcabjohn wrote:I used a 78 on my 66 by making a 3/4 inch spacer to go between the bracket and cowl to lower the pedal. I narrowed the 78 pedal where it would go in the bracket and used it to get a wider pedal (wife is a left foot braker)

Johnny
Right on. I have all the stuff now sitting in my garage. :) Time to start disassembly, rebuilding, etc. About the only big piece I don't have now is an AOD...but I have already scoped one out just need a chance to go get it.

Sooo...351 it is. The plan now is to run the Falcon one more season on the motor I built last year and then transfer it to the truck. It will be a great truck motor. Then, of course, build a new motor for the Falcon.
Rappy

Post by Rappy »

Pic of the front end stuff on my garage floor awaiting disassembly:

olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

Image from Michigan
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505