Anybody recogniz this pointless conversion in this 390 Dizzy

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

maddogs1965

Anybody recogniz this pointless conversion in this 390 Dizzy

Post by maddogs1965 »

So i was tuning up Bills 390, and figured out i am only getting 11.4 volts to the electric choke and the positive side of the coil when the battery is receiving 14.5 volts with the motor running.

I am assuming like the Pertronix's pointless conversion i did in my 57 Chevy, it should also require a constant 12 volts, but i cannot find a brand name anywhere on this unit to look up the instructions on line, so i thought maybe one of you guys would recognize this unit.....

Toyz
United States of America

Re: Anybody recogniz this pointless conversion in this 390 D

Post by Toyz »

There are several brands which look basically the same; including the original Pertronix. Some require 12 volts, some do not. 11.4 will work just fine IMO, but I would want to know where that much a voltage drop is originating!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

I have used both Pertronix and Compufire in the past. Just set with about .030 gap. This looks like the Hotspark unit, which I don't know anything about. www.Hot-Spark.com might get info.

Fred
maddogs1965

Post by maddogs1965 »

Fred[/quote]
fmartin_gila wrote:I have used both Pertronix and Compufire in the past. Just set with about .030 gap. This looks like the Hotspark unit, which I don't know anything about. http://www.Hot-Spark.com might get info.

Fred
Thanks fore the info guys, i will see what i can dig up....
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

It is a Hot Spark, installed one a month ago and works great. $40
Bad contact on plate? Use conductivity paste between it and the plate it may resolve this issue.
The weathers here, wish you were beautiful.
maddogs1965

Post by maddogs1965 »

Danimal wrote:It is a Hot Spark, installed one a month ago and works great. $40
Bad contact on plate? Use conductivity paste between it and the plate it may resolve this issue.

Yep made bye Prestolite.....

http://www.hot-spark.com/1-Hot-Spark-Ma ... nition.htm

now that i have 14.5 volts going to it instead of the 11.5 going to it with the motor running, the truck is running SOOOO much better.....