the M5OD-R2 swap

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rooster91
United States of America

the M5OD-R2 swap

Post by rooster91 »

start off with the basics my truck has a 300 straight six and a t-18 4 speed and with the ford nine rear end that is about as bullet proof and reliable of a stock drive line as you can get. But 2600 rpms at 65 is not exactly desirable.

so my options were: put a 5 speed in it, a torque splitter over drive, a automatic with a overdrive, or suck it up and deal with it

First i looked at the torque splitter i liked everything about it besides the price retain stock clutch stock linkage just shorten the drive shaft move the transmission mount and modify the dog house cover

Second being the automatic with a over drive, pretty much never considered it besides either having to switch column modifying dog house cover drive shaft new fly wheel and trans mission. its basically a sin to pull out a manual and put in a automatic

Third putting a 5 speed in plenty of people said there was a 4 speed with over drive and that they had just bolted in a 80s 5 speed but the information was hazy at best, i knew i would have to modify drive shaft flywheel clutch and do the hydraulic clutch set up

Forth suck it up and deal with it and well no great story ever began with "so i was scared to put a over drive in my truck"

so a 5 speed it was i looked into most all my options, but had to have some ground rules had to be easy to find have atleast a .74 overdrive and bolt up to motor no modifications so when i blow it up i can swap it out no problems

4 speed overdrive: the plus to this is it bolts right in but i had trouble finding one and well didnt like the idea of taking out a 4 speed to replace it with a 4 speed

T5: the t5 has manual clutch linkage which is a huge plus in the department but the more i read alot of people mentioned having to have a ford bell housing and a chevy transmission which im not sure if that is accurate but what killed the t5 for me is the price the initial cost of a t5 is minimal $500 and the shifter is on the back of the transmission

ZF 5 speed: hydraulic clutch was a down fall here but most all i read was they are very strong but expensive i had trouble finding enough of them to nail down a accurate price range and didnt like the availability of them

M5OD-R2: hydraulic clutch just like the ZF which i didnt like but for $300 for a transmission i figured i could try it and if it didnt work i wouldnt be out much and they were literally everywhere. people did say they were weak

so i shelled out $300 for a M5R2 and started massing up the parts i thought i may need.

Clutch: i needed a clutch anyways so i went ahead and ordered one from a 90 f150 with a 300 and the m5r2 which was a 10" clutch, stock my truck had a 11" clutch so i had to replace the fly wheel it may have worked with the 11" the picture below shows the m5od throw out bearing up against the stock 11" pressure plate

Transmission mount: form the t18 bolts right up to the m5od just have to move it back a few inches

Driveshaft: had to swap shafts the m5 has a slip yoke tail shaft which is the same out of a c4 automatic i lucked out needing a 53 1/2" drive shaft and i had a 54" laying around out of something

Clutch master cylinder hose: here is where i messed up i ordered the master cylinder out of the 90 f150 and the hose the prebent rubber hose is bent way wrong and the master cylinder is clocked weird i will be replacing these with a universal master cylinder and braided line, now it wouldnt fit on the clutch pedal side of the brake master cylinder so i decided to use some of the stock linkage and put it on the other side, i did have to cut and weld the small bracket that connected the zbar to the rod that goes threw the floor, also i had to trim back the master cylinder to get it to mount up like i wanted

Dog house cover: i did have to move the hole in the dog house cover the shifter on the m5 is 3 inches further back than the t 18

Shifter rod: i went ahead an welded a piece of tubing to the old shifter after i cut it tapped a hole in it so it would look as stock as possible that and the stock shifter for the m5 is ugly

the flywheel clutch starter transmission all bolted up and worked flawlessly just had to drill the new holes for the transmmison mount cross member to frame, i had trouble getting the transmission to clear the body on install but i think it is because my truck has been wrecked and the cross member is bent and torqued, if you do this swap BACK BLEED the slave and clutch master cylinder its quick easy and takes 5 min and your done

but that is it im sure i forgot something so feel free to ask any questions and excuse me butchering the English language
If it wears make up or has wheels and a motor i want to play with it!
rooster91
United States of America

Re: the M5OD-R2 swap

Post by rooster91 »

i did forget to mention putting rtv on the shift plugs i had read they leaked alot so ran a quick bead of black rtv around them

jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Rooster: Nice write-up!

As far as the trans to body clearance, I noticed in the pics in your other thread that the cab & box do not line up on passenger side.... this make me suspect the rear cab mount on that side is soft? Not sure that is enough to create the problem you describe, but worth looking at either way......

Did you ever set the stock 4 speed next to the M5OD-R2 to compare their physical size??

James

rooster91 wrote: i had trouble getting the transmission to clear the body on install but i think it is because my truck has been wrecked and the cross member is bent and torqued

but that is it im sure i forgot something so feel free to ask any questions and excuse me butchering the English language
rooster91
United States of America

Post by rooster91 »

the clearance problem stems from this truck has been tboned i believe my raidius arm cross member is bent the pic is bad but kind of shows it

i basically worked off the threory people put automatics in these so it must jusat be cause of the wreck...

i did put them up next to each other i forgot to take pics but physical size isnt much difference besides length
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Nice write up! I need an OD Trans for my 460!
Phil