Gas gage not working

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gary Seymour
United States of America

Gas gage not working

Post by Gary Seymour »

I recently started driving my '62 and the gas gage isn't working. I put in a new sending unit from LMC Truck. :roll:

I grounded the hot wire at the tank and the gage went to full. Does that mean the sending unit is no good?
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Gas gage not working

Post by Toyz »

If other gauges are working correctly; it is likely the float, sender or a poor ground. A better (and safer) test is to use a test lamp. The IVR delivers a pulsed voltage which will cause the test lamp to pulse as the gauge slowly makes its way to full if working correctly. By not working, if you mean remaining near or at empty position, you may well have a saturated float.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Re: Gas gage not working

Post by chris401 »

Gary Seymour wrote:I recently started driving my '62 and the gas gage isn't working. I put in a new sending unit from LMC Truck. :roll:

I grounded the hot wire at the tank and the gage went to full. Does that mean the sending unit is no good?
I didn't have any success with LMC sending units. The replacements they sent me had GM rheostats. Seemed it was 9 vs 13 oms. Would not come up to empty till it had 5 or 6 gallons in it. Dropped in a Dennis Carpenter and it worked fine.
Chris