CV vs Dakota vs Jag front end swap.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RustNdust65
United States of America

CV vs Dakota vs Jag front end swap.

Post by RustNdust65 »

Hey guys so I've done some research on each of these swaps and I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger and go with the Crown Vic front end. I'm sure I'll catch a lot of heat for my choice. Everybody has there own preference and I definitely respect that. The Dakota swap looks really good and there are just as many Dakotas in junkyards as CVs but reading through all the builds it just seems like a drastic swap, kind of intimidating haha. Don't get me wrong I have faith in my welding but damn not sure about that. As far as the jag swap goes I feel like the crown Vic parts would be easier/cheaper to find.

But either way I have just one question when it comes to this swap and pretty much all these swaps honestly. I already have the part numbers for pretty much everything big that I'm going to need (such a common swap I guess it's pretty easy to piece together through everyone else's builds but I'm having a hard time when it comes to the brakes. Right now I have the regular 65 all drum master cylinder. Obviously that won't work. I plan on staying with manual brakes. I know I'll definitely need a combo valve to run rear drums and front disks. So with that being said I might have just answered my own question. I'm guessing I will need a disk brake master cylinder and combination valve? Brake systems have never been my strong point haha any insight on the swap in general would be great or if I'm making a mistake please let me know
Toyz
United States of America

Re: CV vs Dakota vs Jag front end swap.

Post by Toyz »

A later model F-series m/c and combo valve should work fine; F-250's went to disc front early on; the lighter series started in 1973. I would avoid '67 F-250; any of the others will simply require pedal rod modification, and, of course, brake lines and fittings to adapt to the CV calipers.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

Awesome I know exactly where I can find one too. That helps a lot thank you
matt2491

Post by matt2491 »

I have the complete jag suspension out of my F100 (as seen in my tech article), including the crossmember cradle I built which makes it a bolt in deal. I would sell it to you if interested.

On my new build I went with the Dodge Dakota, not because I was unhappy with the Jag IFS, but just because I wanted to try something else. The Jag rode and handled like a sports car (no surprise there) - it was pretty sweet.
Just driving my truck.
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

Matt2491- that is awesome! you did ALOT of work on that!! I went back and found your install article and holy cow that's a serious amount of fab work! Looks great though. I appreciate you offering it to me but I think I'm going to go with the crown Vic just because im more familiar with it. I'm sure the Dakota swap you do is going to be just as impressive.
pikupmn
United States of America

Post by pikupmn »

i did the dakota swap simply because of the cv being wider and you have to compensate with wheels. it was sraight forward and fairly easy even tho, and LM14 will tell you, was scared at 1st. it's so simple and the kits are made to fit the slick FRAME, and with the donor truck you have everything you need sitting rght there, i even used thr front sway bar (with a little massaging) . its also set up to push the center of the front wheel forward 1 1/2 to 2 inches so it centers in the wheel well. whatever YOU chose is fine just wanted to let you know....it ain't that bad of an install. good luck, Jeff
it's never too late to have a happy childhood

1966 Long Box 5/8 ton wha.gif
2012 F150 XLT Super Crew 3.5 TWIN TURBO ......yee haw
2000 Road King