mustang front suspension?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

MadMaxetc
United States of America

Re: mustang front suspension?

Post by MadMaxetc »

I looked at all the kits. I wanted one that would hold up under daily use (even though it wont see it) and if something did break, I wanted to be able to find parts on the road.

MII:
Not designed for Truck weight.
Brakes need to be upgraded to support fade free panic stops.
All kits have after market special parts. Can't just go to O'Reily's or a salvage yard and get parts the same day.

No Limit:
Same as MII

Crown Vic:
Found out too late, already had my dakota.
Couldn't run the rims I want.

Aerostar:
Somewhat complicated Fab work.
Didn't like the "I have a Van frontend"

Dakota:
All Stock Parts
Rack Mod for clearance to my 460 can be done with a cutoff wheel and a welder in an hour.
I can run any rims I want.
Made for a truck the same size and weight

Chevy anything:
Dodge I am OK with, Chevy I am not. (Me being stupid, but that's my right)

Just some things to think about. :boxing:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
lo6fo
United States of America

Post by lo6fo »

im glad my thread got all the attention it did. i understand all the downfalls on the mII kits now. it makes sense o use something that was made for a bigger vehical on a big truck. im gonna do a bit more research but im more than likely gonna go with the dakota set up. mad you mentioned youve used all stock parts from the dakota. have you had and wear problems with any of the parts. would you recommend i upgrade any of the parts before i get it all together? what did you do for a power steering pump for the rack? sorry if i sound stupid but ive never delt with an ifs modifaction before. thanks for all the help guys.
64 f100 long bed 292 with a 4 speed
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

My beef with MII stuff is not the strength of the parts, its the bad geometry engineered into the system. Go to any wrecking yard, there are or used to be stacks of Pintos and Mustang II's that had rolled over like circus dogs. A few around here flipped end over end on straight roads with no mechanical failure, they just tripped over their own front wheels. Those things are worse than the old Corvairs for being ill- handling little beasts, never designed for anything but city driving.Then they sold them to young drivers that had no idea what they were getting, and not a clue how to get out of trouble if they got out of shape. No wonder there are so many "donor" cars around! If you are just going to roll it on and off a trailer and want to be "in" with a cool-sounding "fatman" or some such, go right ahead. Just don't drive it anywhere around me!
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

I agree as well with all the attention this topic is getting,, this is what Slick60s is all about on hands on info or many :idea: 's that will come up, not just a bunch of :bs: somebody called us today and was very impressed on how this site is going in the right direction and very helpful so Keep up the Good work here Guys/Gals :D
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

R Pope wrote:My beef with MII stuff is not the strength of the parts, its the bad geometry engineered into the system. Go to any wrecking yard, there are or used to be stacks of Pintos and Mustang II's that had rolled over like circus dogs. A few around here flipped end over end on straight roads with no mechanical failure, they just tripped over their own front wheels. Those things are worse than the old Corvairs for being ill- handling little beasts, never designed for anything but city driving.Then they sold them to young drivers that had no idea what they were getting, and not a clue how to get out of trouble if they got out of shape. No wonder there are so many "donor" cars around! If you are just going to roll it on and off a trailer and want to be "in" with a cool-sounding "fatman" or some such, go right ahead. Just don't drive it anywhere around me!
"Tripped over their own front wheels"!!!! Where was the internet back in those days? Looks like ol' non-driver Ralphie would have been all over that!
My memory must be getting worse all the time, but I just don't remember those facts. Seems I would have seen or heard of such, since I tended to be around a lot of "run what you brung" activities, as well as working on these vehicles daily, and first becoming certified (NIASE, now referred to as ASE),
on "front end" as well as seven other fields, in 1975.
If you feel the Pintos and Corvairs were not of optimum handling in those days, just say so; I seem to remember the larger cars of the day being particularly "evil" handling. Our city police chief in those days went on the record as stating the big Fords were "race car motors in (no-handling) bodies".
As for the last sentence, probably not a problem :lol:
Don't take my statements as being in favor of a particular conversion; just like the original poster, I need and appreciate constructive information, particularly from people with the hands on experience such as Tom mentioned. There were, and are a bunch of people who fit that category here!
People who are "pushing the envelope" and continously proving and improving their trucks; Dan, Tom, El Polacko, KStone, even Alan :P , and many,many others; not to overlook the local members who have "been there", and also become friends, are appreciated for their help and information.
Again, as Tom mentioned, this is what this site is all about IMO, and I thank everyone for contributing to it.
Thanks again,
Paul

Edit, I stand corrected! I made a quick search and WAS able to find a video of "Pinto rollover" It's from Forza Motorsports 4" :lol:
Not that this has anything to do with utilizing a MII !
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Hookedtrout

Post by Hookedtrout »

Great conversation, some over the top emotion without much specific detail at times but great conversation. Anyone out there running MII or No Limits, Fatman? Let's hear some real input from those with experience based on having installed and ran it. This conversion is in my future and I'd like to hear it from the horses mouth.
Cory

1962 F100 SWB Unibody, 223
1931 Ford 5 window coupe
1968 GT/California Special Mustang, 289
Complete 61 LWB Unibody parts truck with 292 Y Block
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

I'll jump in here with a comment or 2. As you all know I have EZBNGRN's truck in my shop and we are about ready to put the body on the rotissiorie. He used the "no limit wide ride IFS" and it looks great but we will know a lot more about it as the build progresses. This is my first contact with a IFS conversion so I've got some learning to do like engine mount placement, steering column alignment with power rack input oil pan clearance just to think of a few items that could be troublesome. The engine and transmission is a 302 / AOD combination so that should be a pretty straight forward install. Anyway I am hoping that this front end is all its supposed to be. We will find out I'm sure.
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

Don't know if you've seen video's of No-Limits Eng. fat fender f100 doing autocross !! But it's pretty cool.
If their IFS kits hold up to that kind of asbuse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFQH795rXms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dgxW7ah ... re=related

Danny
Power by Ford

Post by Power by Ford »

Try those autocross moves with the above mentioned set ups. All have there place but if you want the best deal for your money Jim Meyer or No Limit are the best way to go hands down.
Love those SLICKS
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

No limit uses corvette parts, doesn't it?

Why hasn't anyone mentioned jag?
cooter

Post by cooter »

no limit uses gen 2 camaro
why put off till tommorow what you can put off alltogether